newbie from gosford

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,
Been a long time lurker, mostly just watch my fare share of TV shows on all similar subject matter, and originally joined mostly for researching area around barrignton - have property up there, and i'm keen on knowing what might lurk in my/nearby streams.
Also midway through a 3 week tour of victoria, went on a few mine tours and finally got wet today with my first time prospecting (alluvial) in the wilderness, spent a few hours driving around the greater bendigo national park, met a fellow prospector detecting and learnt a bit about the area, but couldn't help much with the alluvial aspect.
finally found about the only water in the park - that wast full of tyres and trolleys, which was the coliban recycled water trench, having worked in water treatment it wasn't going phase me digging around in it.
went back today and finally spent quite a few hours digging the banks and bottom, plenty of detecting pick holes around so figured something had to be there, after a few hours someone started panning further up, found fish in the trench (30+ cm carps wanting to see the fuss) and ended up with a bit of flour and 2-3 small nugets, and possibly (complete amateur) 2-3 very small smoky quatrz crystals - they were definite unique crystal characteristics to the rest of the gravel and fines.

so don't know if that's success, but i'm happy i could find anything - plus the heat wasn't bad, wind was nice, and fish were a complete surprise.

going to poke around at beechworth - either woolshed falls or spring creek in the historic park tomorrow for a few hours enroute to next stop (still can't quite understand whether it's ok? spring creek is on the NO-GO list, but the historic park is?? does that mean no alluvial, but detecting allowed?)

P.S very keen to discuss with anyone, more about barrington, i have a mountain load of research but little in the way of practical application looking/prospecting and real local knowledge.

but good to be here. :coffee:

Welcome to the forum qwip
Im just a few Kms up the highway from Gosford ..
Beechworth is a nice area, we spent a week there, just before Christmas camped out on Reedy Creek

Ready Creek runs parallel with Woolshed road Beechworth all the way to Erlderado
and almost any were along Reedy Creek you can pan and get some colour.

Its a nice spot :perfect:

Thanks all,

ended up not doing much at beechworth, went to the woolshed falls and just let the kids run around in what water there was left in the pools.

HomerJSimpson said:
Welcome mate! I'm from Newcastle, maybe we will bump into each other one day!
nucopia said:
Im just a few Kms up the highway from Gosford ..

Back home now, and i'm keen to do a bit more local hunting, if you have any trips planned and want some company, depending on the wife, i'd be up for an outing.

G'day mate welcome to PA, ask questions or add comment to any thread that takes your fancy and you'll be there in no time :Y: :beer:

Latest posts