Ideas for displaying relics - show n tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1390981721_brass_reading_glasses.jpg

1390981778_brass_an_muck_buttons.jpg

my best relic find by far has to be the brass reading glasses they even still had one of the glass lenses in the frame and some old twine tied around the arm holding it together i did go back and sieve the area looking for the other lens but by the wear it seemed that itd been missing for quite a while, one of the arms is broken and missing the end piece they have a sliding adjustment as well, found a few years back when detecting in the castlemaine area where we spent a couple of weeks just north of town in what was known as dirty dicks gully near hundredweight hill using a couple of SD 2000s we found so many targets in the one area, including quite a few brass and muck metal buttons and several brass thimbles ,we also found some Chinese coins a ships token some old english pennies and lots and lots of horeshoe nails including several pony shoes and ...finally even a small bit of gold an 8 gram piece sitting on top of the creek bank only about 10cm deep. It seemed that we were working an old camp site as the relics were concentrated consistently in defined areas, just a pity the gold wasnt behaving the same way and after 2 weeks with only the one bit of gold we moved on ....but the relics and coins were good, be worth a return trip just for the history side...

SO i guess leaving mine on a slab of old railway sleeper next to the bbq is the lazy mans option based on the above... oh the shame

I've seen a lot of different ideas, I was cutting slabs with a lucas sawmill and some of the slabs I cut had big grub holes or cut from hollow trees. These hollows and grub holes were filled with all sort of things, insects, bottle tops, old coins or brass buttons, gemstones, matchbox cars ect. These make great bar tops. I'll see if I can scrounge up some photos.
:) Mick

Latest posts