I Finally Got My Watch Figured Out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FINALLY, at long last I got my Watch figured out, I bought this 3 or 4 years ago,

I did the Rolex thing and the Omega's and the Breitling thing and I was never impressed with their time keeping and I hate Quartz Watches because of having to keep taking them back to get the Batteries change So for the last 20+ Years I have been wearing Citizen Watches which are a UK Company that have been going for about 120+ years,

Thing I love about them Is they are accurate within 1 Second to 1.5 seconds a month and although they have a Quartz type movement they are Solar Powered So the Battery never needs changing, and I have about 3 of them. The internal Battery when fully charged will run the watch for 5 years and in direct sunlight it takes about 3 hours to charge

The last one I bought was about $1100.00 Limited edition but when I bought it I never understood how to set the thing so every time Daylight saving came along I buggered it up and had to Phone the Factory, The thing that was causing the problem Is setting the Date, It is called a "Perpetual Calendar" which I thought meant it had the Date on it, and it has, But what it actually does when set right It knows the Month and the Date and it knows if it's Feb 28 and when to change to March the 1st and it even knows when it's a Leap year etc which is pretty tricky for a Non Digital Watch so the Date always reads correct,

Thanks to the Lady at the factory and a Picture I now know how to set it,

Mine is the same as this Watch

1619092117_citizen_perpetual_cal.jpg

RM Outback said:
Watch this space :lol: truthfully I haven't read your post but couldn't help myself :p had a few beers with Charlie I'll get around to it tomorrow :Y:

Good on Ya. Av a couple for me, 8.( 8.( 8.(

They're good aren't they...

I've had my early model CITIZEN Eco-Drive PROMASTER wrist watch for 12 years now. They are in my experience an utterly reliable timepiece. Got mine for NZ$246 duty free in Auckland vs A$430 retail at home in Melbourne, Aust. A bloody bargain I reckon.....

CITIZEN has an interesting history:- https://deployant.com/5-facts-about-citizen-watch-company-which-you-may-not-know/ and their first watch was made for Japan's Emperor Taish in 1924. All indications are, that they're a Japanese company ;)

casper said:
They're good aren't they...

I've had my early model CITIZEN Eco-Drive PROMASTER wrist watch for 12 years now. They are in my experience an utterly reliable timepiece. Got mine for NZ$246 duty free in Auckland vs A$430 retail at home in Melbourne, Aust. A bloody bargain I reckon.....

CITIZEN has an interesting history:- https://deployant.com/5-facts-about-citizen-watch-company-which-you-may-not-know/ and their first watch was made for Japan's Emperor Taish in 1924. All indications are, that they're a Japanese company ;)

Well it should last you a lifetime, The Promaster I bought back in 1994/5 had a Built in Depth gauge and the Box/Container it came in was a miniature Scuba Tank, I sold that one to a workmate,

here they claim to be a British company but their watches use a Japanese movement ? So I don't know whats what,

I bought the Bil one back in 94 and it still works like a charm Beit a Battery version,

I also have a military version I got back around 99/2001ish and I have a Gold one as well which is also solar powered,

The One at the top of the page I would rate as good as any Omega or TAG and it is way better than the Rolex Sea Dweller I bought back in 95, The build quality and feel of this one rivals any thing Swiss Made and it is extremely Accurate and it's Waterproof to 300M / 1000ft and it has hard Sapphire Crystal Glass so it won't get scratched up easily. They Also make a Chronograph version, The display box must be worth $150.00, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well now that I've caught up on the thread I'll check out their merchandise. I like wearing a watch but with the Magnesium Hydroxide Liquid I deal with it could render any watch useless. For this reason I don't wear a watch, no use throwing money down the drain.

I like the solar :perfect:

RM Outback said:
Well now that I've caught up on the thread I'll check out their merchandise. I like wearing a watch but with the Magnesium Hydroxide Liquid I deal with it could render any watch useless. For this reason I don't wear a watch, no use throwing money down the drain.

I like the solar :perfect:

I switched to Citizen Watches because I took my Seiko Military Watch in to get the chipped glass replace and they refused to do it unless I paid to get it serviced It took ages to get it back, when I went to pick it up they tried to give me someone elses badly beaten up watch that was the same as mine, when I handed mine over they wrote down the serial number and gave me a copy of it but when I went to pick mine up they tried to give me that trashed one which the serial number did not match and then they tried to tell me that my watch and serial number did not exist yet they wrote it down and got me to check it before they sent it away So I know they were BS'ing Me. In the end they gave me a new watch which was not that great, So I switched to Citizen so I would never have to send it in to get it serviced.

All Three of these are solar powered/Charged.

1619220764_my_watches.jpg

goody2shoes said:
Like the silver one :)

Yeah It's a keeper, It's built like a Battleship,

It's very clever too, To save power when it is in the dark the second hand keeps going and then stops when it gets to the 12 O'clock position and then the other hands stay where they are and as soon as light hits the Dial all the hands rotate to the correct position because it memorizes where it supposed to be at that moment in time, Also as the second hand hits every 15 second marker from 15 to 30 to 45 to 60 The Minute hand moves a 1/4 of a minute at a time,

And then there is the Complex Date system where it knows even if it is a leap year or a month with 28 days in it or 30 or 31 days which is really odd for watch with hands. They say it is accurate within 5 seconds a year but elsewhere It says it is accurate to within 1.5 seconds a month, but I think it is way more accurate than that,

J

Ridge Runner said:
goody2shoes said:

It's very clever too, To save power when it is in the dark the second hand keeps going and then stops when it gets to the 12 O'clock position and then the other hands stay where they are and as soon as light hits the Dial all the hands rotate to the correct position because it memorizes where it supposed to be at that moment in time, Also as the second hand hits every 15 second marker from 15 to 30 to 45 to 60 The Minute hand moves a 1/4 of a minute at a time,

And then there is the Complex Date system where it knows even if it is a leap year or a month with 28 days in it or 30 or 31 days which is really odd for watch with hands. They say it is accurate within 5 seconds a year but elsewhere It says it is accurate to within 1.5 seconds a month, but I think it is way more accurate than that,

J

Does it recognise time variations locally/international, sure is a smart bit of gear :Y:

RM Outback said:
Ridge Runner said:
goody2shoes said:

J

Does it recognise time variations locally/international, sure is a smart bit of gear :Y:

No but I think they make a GMT version that you can set duel time zones and they also make quite a few that will do what you said linked to the satellite's so no matter where you go in the world it will always give you the right time.

Adrian ss said:
I have been servicing watches in Canberra for the best part of 40 years and still going. :D

This will give you an idea as to what to expect from a watch of any quality.

https://www.chronext.com/journal/buyers-guide/all-about-watch-accuracy-and-our-top-5-recommendations

One of my favs:https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14143/1619251034_rscn2152.jpg

Good watch, I have seen them for sale over here, in different colours ?

Yesterday I saw a Black Dialed Rolex Sea Dweller 4000 like mine for sale and it was going for $30K+, It's a shame I never kept it, The Blue/Gold and Stainless Rolex Submariner was the best one I owned, I also had the Original Omega Speedmaster which is the watch they used on the First Moon Landings and the Omega Seamaster Quartz Model version that Pierce Brosnan wore in his first James Bond Movie, and about 3 or 4 Breitling models,

Latest posts