How you going in this Heat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave79 said:
Licking windows said:
Dave79 said:
Licking windows said:
We have been lucky in vic during this hot weather in regards to no major bushfires. :Y:
I know that they have got a few major ones burning in tassie , any members in tassie that can give us an update?
What about the other members in other states , any fires that are of concern?
They're still going. We sent some dozers and a loader up there from work today, hard country to get into and fight them.
Wow Dave it sounds like there pretty big but isolated in the bush away from people and property ( Im hoping this is the case) :N:
What are the temps youre Way today? We just hit 43 and its these strong winds that are a concern :(
The conditions arent as bad but its reminding me a bit like black Saturday :N: we were caught up in that dreadful day and days like today put me and a lot of other people around here on edge! :(
Yeah, horror conditions here today but thankfully the one closest to us at Miena is in a pretty isolated area. Only one farm house burnt so far. A beautiful little west coast mining town called Zeehan is in the line of another big fire so fingers crossed that the cool change brings some rain and not just wind and bloody lightning. Hit 40 in a couple of spots in tassie today which is record breaking and the last 2 weeks of 30s have dried the fuel load in the bush.

Hope all ends well for the folks who are in the fire zone Dave. We've got one going in Gippsland as well. Haven't heard the latest but as you said the longer dry spell has cured the fuel loads. The BOM got it right in September when they said we'd be in for a long hot summer. I remember some younger people (20's) saying you beauty :/ me I hoped they were wrong but not to be their getting long range forecast pretty accurate these days.

Luckily most of vic has been reasonably fire free today. Whilst not the same conditions as black Saturday it wasnt too far from it. Main difference was the winds werent as strong. Worst one is up east Gippsland so to those up there and the guys fighting it I hope all is well at the end of it all.

Bjay said:
Luckily most of vic has been reasonably fire free today. Whilst not the same conditions as black Saturday it wasnt too far from it. Main difference was the winds werent as strong. Worst one is up east Gippsland so to those up there and the guys fighting it I hope all is well at the end of it all.

Spot on Bjay, I was talking with a bloke today about the FDI (Fire Danger Indicator) and today's forecast reading around Flinders was 56. So with the forecast at 56 people would most probably consider it not much of a risk. In reality the FDI was initiated after Ash Wednesday in 1983 with the upper limit being 100, on Black Saturday 2009 in parts the FDI reached 300 :eek: and today's readings are scaled around Black Saturdays figures aging with the upper limit being 100. So in reality today's forecast for Flinders was just over 50% higher than Ash Wednesdays upper limit :8. I think it would be better to have the upper limit at 300 to indicate and remind people (it's all still fresh in everyone's mind) just how extreme some of these weather events are and the danger they pose.

whist black Saturday was a tragedy of unseen proportions in this day and age I think it has educated people more of the dangers of these conditions. Hopefully people dont become apathetic because its been a while. Luckily today wasnt as bad but conditions werent so far from being really really bad. Lets hope we dont have any more like today this summer.

RM Outback said:
Bjay said:

Spot on Bjay, I was talking with a bloke today about the FDI (Fire Danger Indicator) and today's forecast reading around Flinders was 56. So with the forecast at 56 people would most probably consider it not much of a risk. In reality the FDI was initiated after Ash Wednesday in 1983 with the upper limit being 100, on Black Saturday 2009 in parts the FDI reached 300 :eek: and today's readings are scaled around Black Saturdays figures aging with the upper limit being 100. So in reality today's forecast for Flinders was just over 50% higher than Ash Wednesdays upper limit :8. I think it would be better to have the upper limit at 300 to indicate and remind people (it's all still fresh in everyone's mind) just how extreme some of these weather events are and the danger they pose.

We lived it mate, lost 5 very dear friends on black Saturday. The scares and memories will always be fresh and raw for a lot of us !

Nightjar said:
Jaros said:
Let's play TENNIS?????!!!! :( :( :8

Yes! They just get on with it as do their followers.
A matter of interest has anyone ever seen where these historical temperatures are recorded? Very simple exercise to cook the books. (No pun intended)

Geopolitics .....

For many years Iran was recognised as having the worlds highest recorded temperature.

But yanks being yanks... Irans record was recently denied credibility and the new world record just happens to be ...... drum roll ........ in the USA

HeadsUp said:
Nightjar said:
Jaros said:
Let's play TENNIS?????!!!! :( :( :8

Yes! They just get on with it as do their followers.
A matter of interest has anyone ever seen where these historical temperatures are recorded? Very simple exercise to cook the books. (No pun intended)

Geopolitics .....

For many years Iran was recognised as having the worlds highest recorded temperature.

But yanks being yanks... Irans record was recently denied credibility and the new world record just happens to be ...... drum roll ........ in the USA
Ya gotta love them septic tanks! :mad:

Lost a chicken to the heat yesterday in Adelaide. It was the big heavy black one responsible for that big egg the other day they are all free range and have plenty of shade/water but at 46 degrees its just too much. RIP Chook
1548414569_20190119_101828.jpg

Danny13 said:
Hotter the better for us Queenslanders , you southerners need to harden up . No wonder we dominate state of origin . A little bit soft you fellas :p
Ay don't know about that Danny, you QLDERS are coming over the border in droves for our NSW beaches and weather :lol: :lol: :cool: ay

Latest posts