How to melt your own gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a blow torch , what else do I need in the way of a container ? Its only a few grams .

Find a decent size stone with a natural bowl shape to it, melt in that. Natural crucible
Might not be good to heat stone to crazy prolonged temps but quick melt might be fine.

You can get a 'keeble/Heeble' brick from bunnings for a coupla bux, get a drill bit and by hand, drill a small hole in the brick.
Put ya gold in there and heat it up...be gentle though because you can blow the gold out of the hole if you are too agressive.
A little borax will help hold it together and also bring out impurities....

PS heating a river rock to 1100' could result in an explosive episode...........

That is one thing I would not do,put the gold in a stone it could shater and you will lose your gold.
Buy a clay crucible from Koodak in the city,and a bit of borax.

Regards Frank

Yeah those are much better suggestions than mine, better safe than blind or poorer than before

Hi here another way that work ok. Melting gold in a potato. its amazing how the spud handles the heat
just type "Melting gold in a potato". in YouTube as I'm not able to post links

Get a charcoal block from a jewellers supplies and do it on that, the charcoal intensifies the heat and gets it done quicker with a blow torch

Thanks for the info guys .
Yeah ,, I might just keep it the way it is ,in hindsight ;)

butane torch from bunnings m8 cost ya about $30 bucks melt it in a cast iron container with borax outside and you shod be able to melt it just dont touch it when you have melted it but it in water and to melt it get the verry tip of the flame on the gold thats where it will be the hotest at the tip of the flame :)

Great post

Question:

When I take my gold for sale I asked if the cost to me would be lower if I smelted it myself, the answer was no, because they smelt it to bullion quality!!!!

OK so whats the difference between home done smelting and bullion quality????

Sounds a bit dumb now, but I'll ask anyway

Cheers

Bazz

Reeks said:
Guys is it weird that i wanna RUB THAT GOLD BAR ALL OVER MY BODY

Heres a question, if the impurities come out in this process does the karat change? Or is a higher temperature required to burn out the silver/copper content?

The borax will only get things like black sand, ironstone & quartz out. Silver & copper etc. will remain + need refining to seperate. In the link he says he is going to keep us updated on price/spot price, purity etc. that he gets back from his gold buyer.

Bazz - The difference between home done smelting is as above. Most people that do this at home are only trying to get rid of black sand, quartz, ironstone etc. & "clean" the gold as much as possible.
The buyers refine it seperating the metals & thus getting pure gold. Most also pay you for the silver they get out.
At the end of the day all smelting at home does is let you make your own gold bar to keep or improve you gold percentage in relation to what you send to the buyer.

Latest posts