melting gold into buttons

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are members doing to melt gold, jewelry as well as gold pieces. What type of Butane burners are they using and what methods etc.

Made from a small LPG bottle and a homemade burner with a 0.6mm LPG jet that is actually a 0.6 mig welder tip.

View attachment 13124

I was pouring gold back into the cavity in quartz rocks for the Cue Heritage Centre gold display.
not getting it hot enough, it should be near as liquid as water, and I think the flux (borax) or other impurities has capped it off as well

not getting it hot enough, it should be near as liquid as water, and I think the flux (borax) or other impurities has capped it off as well
dave 👍 How Ya going . I've seen Phil's furnice in action :oops: It gets HOT 🥵 enough . Something did go wrong with that one though .
Me and Macka did a pour the other year 78 grams in the electric furnace ( that Mother humper gets HOT ) But didn't not get the mold ( Scull) Hot enough 🤬🤬&🤬 Oh Bugga .
Yep Gold was like 🌊 Water 💦 flowed nicely out of the crucible straight into the warmish mold.
Well " BEEEP Me" Thermal Shock Sucks IT FLOW back out like a Volcano 🌋 Shit spread out over about a metre on the concrete. Not saying I didn't 💩 but a few raisins my have popped out.
Got about 76g out of the concrete.
Quick note Always makes sure your Mold is HOT!!!!!
See if I've still got the video.
It's a Pissa..

Latest posts