How old is this lipstick case?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I reckon this is a lipstick case.

How old is it likely to be?

The lid is jammed on. Its got a letter M, W or E on the lid depending on how you look at it. Probably an M.

I googled cosmetics manufacturer logos without any luck.

20230309_163824.jpg

20230309_163850.jpg

Hilux, I did a bit of a search on Google and Pinterest without success. some manufacturers under M were Max Factor and Maybelline plus one I hadn’t heard of, M.A.C. Perusing various images I noted a lot of the tubes had a flat top and bottom and note your images are slightly rounded.
Good luck with your search.

Hi Hilux. Another interesting one!
I've done a fair search online and can only really say that I don't think it's Max Factor - they have a MF logo that I've seen on a lot of things.
Yours looks like it may have been painted red at some point.
I suggest putting it in boiling water to soften the metal and melt any hardened lipstick inside and then give it a good tug to open it.
Sometimes they have the maker's name on the inside tube.

Cheers,
Megsy

I found this one that's not exactly the same, but I reckon the dark red enamel on it may be what yours had on it.
This one is from England, art deco mid century. No manufacturer's name though. lipstick.PNG

I found this one that's not exactly the same, but I reckon the dark red enamel on it may be what yours had on it.

I reckon you are probably correct. It does not have the same patina as bare copper / brass metal usually has. The domed end does look to have some ruby colouring in the light.

I'm going to have a crack at opening it up. It's too hot here (37°) in Perth to do much else today!

I suggest putting it in boiling water to soften the metal and melt any hardened lipstick inside
Megsy - it worked.
I boiled it for a while and then put the whole thing in a tube with the ridge resting on the end of the tube and banged it on a block of wood. Like you would a bullet pulling tool.

It's got some lippy left inside. I've got it soaking in some turps to try and clean it all out.

Latest posts