How Long Did It Take You To Find Your First Nugget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking on hear and some members saying it took them a very long time to find there first nugget...

My questions is..how long did it take you to find your very first nugget?

Was you one of the lucky one's that found it first time out prospecting...

Goody :|

:eek: Prospecting just over 2 years where I did loads of panning n sluices and played with an atx. Over a year ago I ditched the atx after a few months. Purchased a gpx 4500 then spent 3 weekend trips where I really struggled with unit. Having sdcs pull gold out around me getting rather frustrated. We put a small specie back into same hole at 8inch where I scraped off 4inches before I got a peep at this point I knew I was doin something real wrong. And just didnt know what. I gave up for almost a year when around Christmas I took my father in law out for a dig. I had my settings checked by someone at a tecta shop he explained to me why I was never going to find anything in the settings I was in. He changed things up n said try this. I had a 1 gram peice 5 minute after getting back out to spot. The gpx learning curve is steep, challenging, mentally draining and unfairly painful but worth it. :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

It took a couple of months to find my first piece .4 of a gram never forget it, Still to this day years later i go back to the exact spot and have a look nothing has changed much .Can park the ute and walk to the very log i found it next to.

With my 4500 it was around 4 months.
Too excited with the hunt to give up.
I warned the kids to always say "Eureka" for first gold find (0.71g), but of course they shouted: "holy shite", so it took another month to find the next :mad:
I'll never forget thet nugget and it's labelled in my display case.
Now it's 2 out of 3 weekend trips to the GT or better.
Even better in WA and Qld though.

Im with most others it took me about 4 months and when I did it was on for young and old. It was a piece about .7 and shaped like a rice grain. I went back to the Dunolly Pub and got pissed and ended up playing the guitar out the back bar to a group of Melb tourists. Great day. That was about 10 years ago now.

GT :)

Got my first bit on the second day. It was tiny though but still couldnt believe it. Second trip second day I got a 1.5 grammer and right next to it a 1/2 grammer. Thought this is easy. How wrong I was. Two more 3 day trips with nada. Then things started to fall in place.

First nugget with a detector was an 85gr solid little lump on the first day with my brand new XT17000.

I bought it that morning and rushed straight out to Ophir, put batteries in it and was testing on bottle caps in the camping area on the oposite side of Summerhill CK at the crossing.

This was not 5 feet from a wheelie bin. I had no real idea what I was doing, just waving it over visible rubbish and got a screaming signal I couldn't see.
I kicked and scuffed the ground with my boot and out it popped, it would have all but been 3 pubes shy of a sunbaker.

After that it was about 2 years till I found my next bit.

Latest posts