How deep is too deep

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I seem to find most $1 $2 coins 1 to 3 inches down! Today tried a new park found junk and an earing! A lot of what i thought was a $2 coin came out as a lot of old 1980 style drink tops but 6 inches + deep! So what is the average depth of a $2 coin! Or how deep is too deep? I have found 1c 2c 5c ets deep! Also did our local rugby club 6am this morning, could not belive the amout of beer pull tabs and bottle tops, did not even dig one plug, my detector was screaming its head off in junk. Cheers

For my Nokta the signals for $2 and $1 are close to old pennies and the like, plus lots of other cool brass stuff, so you have to dig the deep signals or you'll miss out on heaps. Ringpulls and bottle caps, everyone has a fine collection of those. :)
C

drop your sensitivity as low as you can, drop a dollar and a 2 on the ground and see how it sings then hunt the junk areas and go for shallows only, the deepest I've found a goldie is about 10in" with little junk in that area, it looked like it had been hit by the mower at least 3 times. Not sure about other detectors but the ATGOLD is magic for goldies and silvers on coin mode.

I've pulled goldies up to about 10" on grassed areas also, especially when places are top dressed regularly they can end up being quite deep.

Some of the smaller coins have a habit of working their way deeper than one would expect, moreso over the larger coins. I have picked $2 coins nearly down to the same depth as pre-decimals in a given area, and often you will find threepences and sixpences much deeper again than florins, pennies and half pennies.

If you are mainly searching for goldies, I'd initially ignore the deeper targets and just concentrate on the shallower ones. Once you have cleaned out the shallower targets, then come back and investigate any deeper ones. You should soon piece together a picture of where most of the coinage sits in the soil profile after a few hunts.

Those areas that are carpetted with pull tabs and bottle caps (usually near oval bar facilities), up to you whether it is worth the effort - I'd probably leave it and move elsewhere if too frustrating. :)

You are so correct about bars/scoreboards on sportsfields! Our local baseball club gets a lot of people to home games, I found 3 coins and 30 screw tops in 40mins, in the end i was better off not using my detector just the pin pionter! Place myst be bottle top dump! Imagine if bottle tops had a refund of 5c!!!!!!

I remember one particular old cricket ground where I was detecting the outskirts for pre-decimals, it must have been party time after every game as there were literally beer bottle caps and ring pulls every couple of centimetres. I gave up and moved a few metres away to a grassed bbq area where the junk was less prevolent, and straight away picked up a near mint .925 florin and shilling from quite a depth.

I'm sure I would have gone nuts if I had continued to persevere with so many junk targets, many of which rang up around the coin range (that was using the Explorer). Either way, there were so many shallow targets in the ground that they would have completely masked any deeper coins, not really worth the time or effort unless you are a sucker for punishment. :D

Latest posts