How can I get over fear camping alone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bealiba.

The Famous Bealiba Black Panther Sightings.

Is a panther on the loose in the wilds of Bealiba a myth or is it real?

I'm going to find out this week.

I'll be annoyed if the bugger interferes with my detecting!

If I don't return in one week any search party is advised to search upwards into the higher tree limb forks for a partially eaten me!

It' scary out there in the dark with big green eyes in the moonlight....

Not!

Hey guys just got back from my night camping in Kingower Forest, it was interesting to say the least not sure how I feel about the whole thing but nevertheless still enjoyed it, i didnt find any gold this trip unfortunately. Half the time I was wondering if I had my machine dialled in right or if I was in the right ground. the main thing that got me at night was just the eerie silence of nothing there was not a breath of wind it was just still, I could hear my heart beating and every time I was thinking if I hear an animal I would scare myself thinking Shit what was that the problem is being stuck in your mind. I think Ill give it another shot and hopefully next times better. also felt just very uneasy lying in my tent in the complete silence just waiting to hear something wondering what it might be. the moon was out as well and every time the cloud gave way and the moon came out I thought someones headlights or torch was shining on my tent ha ha. As others said having a nice big fire definitely helped to ease my mind just being able to see all around me. I know theres nothing out there that can really harm me but its mainly just worried about other people or who knows whats out. I chose a spot well and truly off the beaten path, off one of the tracks where no one would have found me. The track was very overgrown. Kingower roads werent the best either almost needed a 4x4 after the rain we have had recently

Well done mate, you have just shot 3 positive's and 1 negative for your trip ,first positive', you put the tent in your car,second positive you drove out to your choice of camping, third positive choice was YOU SPENT THE NIGHT THERE ,well done mate, the negative was that you missed on the :goldnugget: or :goldpan: full of the shiney stuff.Stick with it mate it will get better :beer:

One of the items I always have close by when camped alone is what I call my 'attitude adjuster', aka pick handle. I have modified it by drilling a hole through it to attach a strong cord loop that I can secure to my wrist if need be.

I was showing it to another camper some years ago and he said that having the cord around the wrist leaves you open to an attacker grabbing it and pulling you off balance and he was right, but not when I add the final touch - a generous squirt of Bushland dish-washing detergent to the handle.

If I did have to swing it in anger, my defence would be that I was demonstrating the correct method of swinging a pick when underground mining and I accidentally made contact with the victim during the back-swing stroke and unfortunately it happened 2 times before I realised it had occurred. That defence was suggested by one of our local cops from the gemfields, but he said that any more than 2 strikes would be most likely deemed as excessive force and not accidental contact, so make sure that you put some real effort into the demonstration.

Jeff

Gday

For many thats the exact point of being in the bush, the silence and the solitude calms the soul, I find that it takes a day or two to get into the zone and relax but then after a couple of weeks in the bush I am reluctant to go home, the first thing that hits you is the confusion and noise when you get into suburbia its like a slap in the face, and I always think wtf am I doing back here, but with family and other things that have to be done some times theres no choice, it does not take me long at home to start yearning for the quiet of the bush again.

Heading bush on Monday for a couple of weeks so all will be good again :inlove:

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
Gday

For many thats the exact point of being in the bush, the silence and the solitude calms the soul, I find that it takes a day or two to get into the zone and relax but then after a couple of weeks in the bush I am reluctant to go home, the first thing that hits you is the confusion and noise when you get into suburbia its like a slap in the face, and I always think wtf am I doing back here, but with family and other things that have to be done some times theres no choice, it does not take me long at home to start yearning for the quiet of the bush again.

Heading bush on Monday for a couple of weeks so all will be good again :inlove:

cheers

Lucky! Where are you off to? I agree the silence was nice but just have to get used to it. Always used to some distraction in civilisation.

stayyerAU

I'm a lady and have often camped alone beside the Murray over the years. I have a favourite spot there, that is so familiar now, it feels like my home away from home. I've never had any problems there. Although early one morning I did get a bit of a fright when I was woken by the sound of something creeping around my tent. Twigs snapping, then silence... After it happened a few times, I finally got up and quietly undid the zip just enough to see out - and it was a cow! A small herd of them were grazing beside the river, and one was not even two metres from my tent. Laughed at myself and went back to sleep.

Not every sound you hear in the bush is a danger to you, mate. With so many nocturnal native animals in our bush, it's most likely to be one of them! Get your torch out and do some native spotlighting and enjoy the sounds of the bush, check out the animals, don't be afraid of them!

I recommend going back to the same spot a few times, just to get used to it, and pretty soon you'll feel safe there, in the familiar surroundings, and getting used to being in the bush alone. When you've done that several times, you'll learn that it's not the scary horror story your mind thinks it is, in actual reality.

Also, for my recent trip to Hill End, travelling alone from Melbourne with a couple of planned overnight stopovers, my sister told me to turn on Google locator and share my location with her, so she could keep track of my whereabouts on the journey. I didn't know you could do this, but I did it, and just knowing that she knew exactly where I was, was somewhat of a comfort to me when I was in strange places, knowing she knew where I was at all times.

I think people are a lot more paranoid than they need to be, in reality. Especially city people, who are used to so much noise and crime on the streets.
The quiet does take some getting used to on the first night, because you are used to so much noise - but it's nothing to be scared of mate.

Just get out there and enjoy nature - the peace and quiet is good for your soul.

Cheers,
Megsy

It takes time , more piss before bed . If you drink the drop bears they won't worry you. I camp out often, and a spot light in the distance does make you aware, but don't let it stop you doing what you like. A 223 pump beside you helps. :Y: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

limpalot said:
It takes time , more piss before bed . If you drink the drop bears they won't worry you. I camp out often, and a spot light in the distance does make you aware, but don't let it stop you doing what you like. A 223 pump beside you helps. :Y: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget:
No, but it attracts pink elephants I find....

stevewilko said:
Bealiba.

If I don't return in one week any search party is advised to search upwards into the higher tree limb forks for a partially eaten me!

Not!
I love the panther myths around Victoria. The Grampians was supposedly a site for them because of one left bu American servicemen in ww2. But..... (1) they only live about 23 years, (2) it takes two to tango (3) even if you have two, the inbreeding would be horrendous and they would soon disappear. But the feral cats are getting huge....

goldierocks said:
stevewilko said:
Bealiba.

Not!
I love the panther myths around Victoria. The Grampians was supposedly a site for them because of one left bu American servicemen in ww2. But..... (1) they only live about 23 years, (2) it takes two to tango (3) even if you have two, the inbreeding would be horrendous and they would soon disappear. But the feral cats are getting huge....

aint no myth mate.. have seen them myself and so have the folks & neighbouring farmers

We had a sheep farm up in the Vic Highlands, I was driving home one night, on our road we had a creek crossing down in a valley, when driving down towards this crossing - I was about 80 yards away, I saw something large lope across the road at the creek. There is no known animal in Australia that lopes and has a tail the length of its body. The next morning at breakfast I told the folks, they looked at one another then back at me and said they had also seen something lope down there at that crossing. Large footprints have been seen in the area on sandy creek beds. We'd also had several sheep killed on several occasions overnight, the mess left was not done by a fox, a fox will usually only eat the meat or offal, not both on the same sitting.. wild dogs maybe but there was none in the area. I use to live in WA and I'm sure I've seen a big cat over there too.

So if you go camping its probably a good idea to check the trees and scout the area before pitching a tent :(. sorry I cant help myself

If your afraid of camping alone then I'd have a flag made up and fly it at your campsite... a flag with something like "Pentridge Gun Club" on it

Look, there isn't anything in Australia that can get you in the dark, that cant get you in the daylight. So go enjoy Australia mate, you have just as big a chance of being robbed, bashed or worse on your way there and way home... and even at home for that matter. And I'd suggest you go enjoy it sooner than later because Australia is changing - for the worse! The good times in this country have already gone :mad:

Latest posts