How can I get over fear camping alone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just proved to myself that Earning instead of Learning hasn't taught me much.... :lol:

Not fun when you have a long walk out... Been there done that.... :awful:

It takes several camps till you start to enjoy the solitude..... And yes Goody, a teddy bear helps... :koala:

A mate asked me if He can make a U turn here, I said 'Don't know, but I bet I can make her eyes pop'... {)

LW...

Generally, the only thing in the Aussie bush that sets out with the intention of harming you is another white man.

As Im often the only white man out here I sleep with one eye open just in case I do something

With good reason too...I have been a victim of self abuse in the past :D

Extra chair or two is the greatest thing ever because if they only see you they wont know where or when the others might turn up, people are about your only threat apart from your own stupidity ie. Injury dumb moves, the animals and dark are easily bluffed by loud noises , i love being by myself and being in the dark in silence opens a whole new aspect to ones brain.
If your real jumpy buy
Cap guns
Airhorns
10 million lumens spotlight
Fireworks
Or just simply take a friend.

FMD !

I have camped alone many times, doesnt worry me.

BUT what you have suggested would likely not have me camping again... ever..... with anyone anywhere. :argh:

I dont think I could have played that character if I was an actor, creeps me put too much.

davsgold said:
Camp out at Wolf Creek (crater) by yourself for a few nights and watch the movie while ya there, if you survive all that then I think you will have conquered your fear. :8 :perfect:

cheers dave

Some replies there VGH, varying in their helpfulness :D

My suggestion, to get over your fear of camping alone, is to pick somewhere that isnt scary to start with, go for a day trip and check it all out in daylight hours.
Have a safety checklist and head back again for just a night. Somewhere not to far away and somewhere with mobile coverage.
Remember the 6 Ps..... prior planning prevents piss poor performance ;)
Take a good torch/headlamp to check out any noises you may hear and most times it will be our wonderful nocturnal wildlife just doing their things :perfect:
Light a fire if it is safe to do so, grab a nice beverage and kick back in a comfy chair.
Enjoy :beer: :cool:

Only my thoughts of course.
I hope you can get out and experience the solo camping VGH as it is one of my most favourite things to do and it does get easier each time. You just have to make a first time.
Best of luck and let us know how you go. :Y:

Maybe try covering yourself in mud, set a few traps, and hide in the trees... it worked for Arnie

Out weird the weirdos I say :D

1557315970_20190508_214330.jpg

I have been travelling mostly on my own since I was 16 back then I hitch hiked everywhere around Vic, NSW, QLD and just swagged ( sleeping bag ) out anywhere, when I got my licence and when travelling in a car or on a motorbike all over Australia ( every state & territory ) just working my way around I still mostly camped out bush on my own, I liked to camp deep in the bush were people don't see you, this also gives you a advantage to hear any noses because with all the sticks etc anything getting close you can hear well in advance and lucky for us in Australia there really is nothing that will find you as there next meal, in saying that I have had some things that get the hair on your back standing, but I go to that thought of there is nothing really that bad that would attack me ( except maybe my x misses lol ) so all good. well unless in the far north but then I never camp near a water hole or creek's - rivers up there.

I also when younger use to do 1 to 3 week backpack walks across the alpines on my own, on one trip back in the 90's I decided to start a walk from Harrietville up to federation hut, I got held up and never got away until late in the arvo but since I had been up here a few times before I new I could make the hut before dark no prob, then when I was about 1k from the hut heavy cloud - fog sleety weather came in fast and it become a white out, this made walking slow as and it soon got a lot darker to the point were I thought it is to dangerous to keep walking, so I set camp and figured I will head up the last bit in the morning no prob all good, a couple of hours went by and I jumped into bed early ( sleeping bag with cover sheet over the top ) then not long after wild dogs start howling and I can tell there not far away, this went on and off all night, I stayed awake for hours and then at some point I fell asleep. When I woke I packed up and as it turns out I was only about 300m from Federation Hut as I walked up to the hut 2 blokes walked out and said Gday you must have started the walk up early, I told them the story and they were like no way, we stayed in the hut and there was wild dogs howling all bloody night and they were shitty themselves, I said yep I hear ya :)

Jumping ahead many years to 2014 I was on yet another lonewolf motorbike trip into the outback, by now I carry a epirb with me were ever I go on my own, so I was going for at least a few months and plan was to travel through Vic to NSW and then SA to Cameron corner and up to NT to visit family, I zig zagged my way there and on day 8 I arrived at Cameron corner late, I was told there that rain is on its way and either go back or stay or head north, I decided to head west then north and would ride until late arvo and then set camp somewhere near Merty Merty Station, well I got about half way and had a major high side at speed in the sand and when I landed I felt my arm snap and new I was in real trouble ( I was so pissed off with myself for pushing to hard to try and beat the rain and that day I had covered 550K about and was super fatigued and I should have pulled up ealier, to late now what to do next, I was in a ton of pain as I also smashed my knee and head, so thought while i am warm still i need to try and pick my bike up and see if i can make it to Merty Merty station, my bike is 200kg and with one broken arm and smashed knee i just got the bike up only to see some of my gear had got jammed in the chain and i just could not get it out, so time to go into survival mode, so i turned my epirb on and then got water and cover sheet plus my smokes, I was in a ton a pain and really felt crook and thought shite this could end bad so I better put something on vid just in case the worst might happen, that vid of me ranting off my head is on youtube still, it is almost embarrassing to listen to it now.

It was almost dark when I sat down and then I looked to my right and there was a Dingo, i thought shite you waisted no time lol but i aint dead yet so you will have to wait, i seem to nod off and on and at one point in the pitch black dark i could hear lots of noises in the surrounding bushes and thought shite the dingos sure are getting up in numbers, long story short many hours later Martin from Merty Merty station found me, he jumped out of his 4x4 and said are you ok bloke I said I am glad to see you and thank you, I said there has been plenty of Dingo's hanging around he said and lots of Camels, I said i never seen any and he said there tracks are all over the track just back there you are lucky a male did not come across you. The story go's on but i don't want to bore you anymore, ( except I went back months later with a ute load of beer for all who helped me out and have been back many times since and have made some life long friendships.

So back to camping on your own, just face your fears so to speak and get out there and enjoy yourself, you will be fine. If you wait for others to go with you, you will miss out on so many life adventures, like i said I have been travelling Australia all my life ( I am 51 now ) and I live out bush on a 80acre property on my own not far from Rushworth gold country :) and love it, if ever in the area look me up and I will be happy to show you around :) Happy Camping, don't forget to take lots of photos..

Cheers Mick.

G'day

I have camped alone dozens of times and never really had any serious issues, I used to always go on my own for two or three weeks at a time mainly due to it becoming too hard at times to organize a trip with other people often just letting you down and deciding they didn't want to go at the last moment, and I decided in the end it was easier just to do my own thing, these days I go with friends who are reliable and great company, being on your own is fine but its better with company.

Its safer of course to be in company while in the bush as there are some weirdo's about for sure, but the use of some common sense will make it safe to go it alone, there have been a couple of places where I intended to camp that just plain creeped me out so I would just move to another spot, if your instincts are telling you the place is unsafe then move, its better to be wrong than be right, don't leave looking for a camp spot to the last minute, do your recce of a spot in daylight so you can see what and who is about, I always make sure that I park in a way that I can get out in a hurry so if a bug out is needed for any reason then you know which way is out, as driving dirt tracks at night can be confusing and dangerous and you can wind up stuck or lost.

If you are on the road and need to stop for the night I will generally find a track and go into the bush for a couple of klms that way you can see who's about and then sight your vehicle so you are facing back the way you came in to make getting out easier as well, and also I have stayed in truck bays overnight but they can get noisy with the road traffic and with trucks coming and going making it hard to sleep as well.

Again with road traveling I have found it safe to stop at roadside parks where other travellers are stopping overnight, as mentioned these are like minded people and of course there is safety in numbers, and even though sometimes the neighbors can be noisy at least there are other people around if any issues arise.

If you are an older person its better to camp in company, as I have seen many people injured while camping and also become ill so its a good thing to have someone about if you need to be taken to town for treatment, when I was younger I never thought anything of it as my health was good and I could still put up a fight if I had to, but even though we don't like to admit it age does make you more vulnerable to injury or sickness or possibly just a soft target for those looking for trouble.

But all in all I would still camp in the bush on my own if need be as I still maintain that if you use some common sense you are safer out there than you would be walking the streets of your home town at night, try staying where there are other people first if you are nervous to be on your own and you will get a feel for it that way, after awhile you will feel at ease and comfortable in the bush alone, or alternatively see if you can find a like minded mate to share trips with as most people like to be in company anyway.

cheers

stayyerAU

In Australia there are no land animals that see adult humans as prey, in the north if you camp at least 50 meters away
from water then there is nothing to worry about.

I camp on my own for both work and pleasure and spend at least 30 nights in the bush solo every year and have done so for at least 25 years.
Never had an issue even when swagging it on the side of the Stuart hwy.

Camping alone is not an issue as long as you are prepared. I meet loads of people who live out bush and have for many years.
The only problem with camping alone out the bush is who do you blame for forgetting to pack the toilet paper etc.

You will be right get a list and pack what you need and know the area.

You would also be surprised the number of like minded people you meet.

Cheers HH

I often camp alone in the bush. Only place I've been spooked is Graytown and I bailed out at night and headed home.
Other places don't bother me.
Some tips for keeping your mind from overthinking your seclusion, camp away from others and well off the main tracks, have a good fire going, put some good music on or even just the local radio station and have a few drinks.
Camping solo can be a battle with the mind games if you keep everything quiet through fear of someone hearing you, you've spooked yourself from the start as soon as it gets quiet. Turn the music on, light the fire and crack a beer and you'll be surprised how enjoyable it is :Y:

Gem in I said:
yep smokey that's a good point which is why when in security/crowd controller, a maglight torch was a handy see at night piece of equipment :playful:
edit where did you get my pic from
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

deepblue said:
Make friends with the locals and make sure people are aware that you are there. Safety is all about being aware of your surrounding. Camp in designated areas talk to fellow campers they all aren't trying to find your secret spot. Don't hide away in the bush with camo nets. If your really in secure join a group there are always like minded people looking for adventure but have the same problem. 35 years out in the bush driven around Aus. 5 times and never had a bad experience with like minded traveller. At all times be positive and enjoy the time.
Agree with all this. Never had an issue with anyone in more than 50 years mostly in the bush, and have often had a hand (or given one) with mechanical problems etc by camping near others. I tend to camp nearby where I am prospecting where there are a few others, and take a short drive to where I am working. That way it is usually a nicer campsite, and may have at least a long-drop and even a shower or a river to wash in. Few people will waste their time tailing you in - why would they think you will do better than them? I actually usually coordinate with others at the campsite and tell them what track I will be on that day (and they do the same). I do not go further into rough bush on 4x4 tracks alone than I coukld walk out of in half a day - if further in I take a mate, or even go in two vehicles.

LOL only trouble I ever had was when some bastard turned up and wanted to share the campsite and fire.
One time a family with screaming baby rocked up at 11pm, then proceeded to hammer tent pegs for what seemed hours, ferals were fighting with one another.

Maybe I should walk around in drag like madtuna.

Latest posts