Hot Rock? - Linton Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok So I went for a quick detect down the back of Linton, and came across this hot rock. Will post pictures later, but it set my detector off (F1A4) with a mild to weak signal, but the brother in laws SDC didn't blink an eyelid.

The rock itself is a chunk of iron stone i think, or red sandstone.

Is it something that may contain flecks of gold?

Thanks

James

As an aside, do hot rocks commonly occur in gold bearing areas? There are several sites near where this rock was found with similar red stone intermixed with quartz.

Geologically speaking, would this area be a likely spot? There were a few deep diggings on the sides of the valley, but the valley floor was far too overgrown to get into. This rock was from a section where the a smaller valley met the larger one, higher up.

They sure do, some goldfields are full of them to the point of being undetectable where as other areas have just a few. Not all hotrocks are created equal either, sometimes certain timings on a gpx will ignore them if they are low on mineralisation and other times they are so mineralised that they sound like a lump of metal, basalt seems to be the worst stuff a lot of the time.

Marauder said:
As an aside, do hot rocks commonly occur in gold bearing areas? There are several sites near where this rock was found with similar red stone intermixed with quartz.

Geologically speaking, would this area be a likely spot? There were a few deep diggings on the sides of the valley, but the valley floor was far too overgrown to get into. This rock was from a section where the a smaller valley met the larger one, higher up.

There is significant evidence of Volcanic activity in that district and quite possible for lots of hot rocks.

Latest posts