Homemade Hand Crevicing Suction Pumps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an alteration/mod to our hand crevicing pumps we have ordered 2 each x Cherne End-of-pipe Gripper Plugs 40mm from Seca @ $8.90 each. https://www.seca.com.au/cherne-pipe-plugs/cherne-gripper®-plugs

1460763103_cherne.jpg

We've seen something similar on You Tube and they look to work a treat!

Remove the top of one plug, the bottom of the other plug, put them together for extra suction/thickness then wallah! These are attached to the end of the plunger.

Anyway, that's the theory. Hope they arrive before we begin our travels on 27 April. Itching to get back out there

Nanjim said:

A word of warring when we talk about Thongs. Here in Australia we all know just what we are referring to when we talk about Thongs. Footwear! But the rest world may think were referring to something else .. :D :D :D :D

Jembaicumbene said:
Nanjim said:

A word of warring when we talk about Thongs. Here in Australia we all know just what we are referring to when we talk about Thongs. Footwear! But the rest world may think were referring to something else .. :D :D :D :D

The rest of the world know them as Flip Flops Jemba ;)

penfooey said:
As an alteration/mod to our hand crevicing pumps we have ordered 2 each x Cherne End-of-pipe Gripper Plugs 40mm from Seca @ $8.90 each. https://www.seca.com.au/cherne-pipe-plugs/cherne-gripper®-plugs

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1654/1460763103_cherne.jpg

Remove the top of one plug, the bottom of the other plug, put them together for extra suction/thickness then wallah! These are attached to the end of the plunger.

Anyway, that's the theory. Hope they arrive before we begin our travels on 27 April. Itching to get back out there

I was looking for these rubber plumbing test plugs in Australia years ago when building my yabby sucker pump needing 40mm or 50mm and only ebay had them coming from the USA as I couldn't find any in Australia at the time in the size I needed but the shipping was a killer so I went with the good ole Aussie thong/flip flop.

Hole saw works the best or you can push down tube onto thong/flip flop and twist and turn till you cut through to get exact size.

I did find at the time Aussie plumbing supplies selling 90mm test plugs and were brass with an $100 price tag but too big for my needs.

Good to see we can get them here in Oz now and really for the same price as the yanks which shocks me!

Gonna order a few now and modify.

3DDevil said:
Looks great Pen and Harro! Looking forwards to seeing you guys again and having a 'few' cold bevies ;)
Hi there, the test plugs turned up this morning - quick delivery - only ordered them on Thursday. Guess what we are doing today - making the mods ha ha.

Thanks for sending the hard drive with the Gold Rush Alaska and Klondike Series. I hadn't been able to watch them as we travel too much, but now I can take em with us. Have downloaded them and Harro will give you a call to see whether we post it back or if you are joining us at Tuena again. I've made something for you....... :p It's a surprise ha ha ha. ;)

yass00_Au said:
Jembaicumbene said:
Nanjim said:

The rest of the world know them as Flip Flops Jemba ;)

penfooey said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1654/1460763103_cherne.jpg

I was looking for these rubber plumbing test plugs in Australia years ago when building my yabby sucker pump needing 40mm or 50mm and only ebay had them coming from the USA as I couldn't find any in Australia at the time in the size I needed but the shipping was a killer so I went with the good ole Aussie thong/flip flop.

Hole saw works the best or you can push down tube onto thong/flip flop and twist and turn till you cut through to get exact size.

I did find at the time Aussie plumbing supplies selling 90mm test plugs and were brass with an $100 price tag but too big for my needs.

Good to see we can get them here in Oz now and really for the same price as the yanks which shocks me!

Gonna order a few now and modify.

Hi, the test plugs turned up this morning so will get straight onto it. Thanks for the info on the thong/flip flop - that could come in handy down the track and yeah, we had been looking for the test plugs and at first thought we could only get them in the US for the size we were after, but quite by accident I came across Seca. Very easy to deal with, good price and real quick on the delivery. :)

Also if you are using thongs as plungers, if you place a large washer each side (about 5mm per side smaller than the thong) it holds the thong material stiff and also allows adjustment when the thong wears and has clearance on the tube. Simply tighten the washers and the thong expands in diameter. Ken.

ken2m said:
Also if you are using thongs as plungers, if you place a large washer each side (about 5mm per side smaller than the thong) it holds the thong material stiff and also allows adjustment when the thong wears and has clearance on the tube. Simply tighten the washers and the thong expands in diameter. Ken.

I bought a few spare parts kits for yabby pump at BCF for $5 each which includes washers, wingnut and rubber.

The rubber that comes in the kit sucks big time so that's why I use the thongs/flipflops and the washers are as you mention Ken 5mm smaller.

I have made threaded bolt at plunger end of yabby pump long enough to fit 2 pieces of thongs/flipflops as they ware out quite quickly with a single piece so with two plungers I can then crank up wingnut as needed for expansion without having to carry around spares on the river.

Still to modify and have a crack at test plugs though.

Cheers,

Ross

yass00_Au said:
ken2m said:

I bought a few spare parts kits for yabby pump at BCF for $5 each which includes washers, wingnut and rubber.

The rubber that comes in the kit sucks big time so that's why I use the thongs/flipflops and the washers are as you mention Ken 5mm smaller.

I have made threaded bolt at plunger end of yabby pump long enough to fit 2 pieces of thongs/flipflops as they ware out quite quickly with a single piece so with two plungers I can then crank up wingnut as needed for expansion without having to carry around spares on the river.

Still to modify and have a crack at test plugs though.

Cheers,

Ross
Great ideas Ken and Ross, I've put these ideas direct into my 'tool box' ha ha - no stopping us :lol:

Hi Guys, thank you for all who have posted on this topic before me. This set up is simple and works a treat. Researched a lot and am happy with this quick affordable set up. The connector was one i saw a link for on another post (thank you:)). I removed the 3 way rubber valve in it though and plugged the exit - best thing is the device fits a hose really well - i was struggling to find PVC parts for the end of the yabbie pump that fit and reduced etc. So yes i have to pump once and then empty but it works well and i haven't had any trouble having the bucket or pan nearby to empty into. Also found specs in unlikely spots so when i have time to try the bends and bed rock etc should be good. I tried with the 3 way valve in place but the holes are a bit small and clog.
1466589826_pump.jpg

Heres one I put together a while back. Also had to replace the original foam rubber plunger, made one out of an old rubber 4wd floor mat. Suction now excellent but requires alot of shoulder strength. Cleans those underwater holes a treat.
Cheers,
TGW.
1466650887_img_20160623_45140.jpg

Stru said:
Hi Guys, thank you for all who have posted on this topic before me. This set up is simple and works a treat. Researched a lot and am happy with this quick affordable set up. The connector was one i saw a link for on another post (thank you:)). I removed the 3 way rubber valve in it though and plugged the exit - best thing is the device fits a hose really well - i was struggling to find PVC parts for the end of the yabbie pump that fit and reduced etc. So yes i have to pump once and then empty but it works well and i haven't had any trouble having the bucket or pan nearby to empty into. Also found specs in unlikely spots so when i have time to try the bends and bed rock etc should be good. I tried with the 3 way valve in place but the holes are a bit small and clog.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6148/1466589826_pump.jpg
You don't happen to have that link handy do you? I remember seeing the post a while back but I can't find the link again.

@The Green Wanderer you should use leather gaskets. They are used in different water pumps and work much better because they're durable 5+ years. They are tight when they get in contact with water. Also if you use a lil bit of vaseline it's much more easier to pump without big effort. Used it on my pump and they're superb.

You have to use two of them. Just sandwich them back to back.

Leather_Gasket_4x3_Crop.png

daniel2015 said:
@The Green Wanderer you should use leather gaskets. They are used in different water pumps and work much better because they're durable 5+ years. They are tight when they get in contact with water. Also if you use a lil bit of vaseline it's much more easier to pump without big effort. Used it on my pump and they're superb.

You have to use two of them. Just sandwich them back to back.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/Leather_Gasket_4x3_Crop.png

But if you use vaseline the gold will stick to it as well as gravel causing increased wear and if the vaseline makes it into a sluce, highbanker or pan the gold will float away. Much better to run with water as the lubricant. Ken.

bend said:
Stru said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6148/1466589826_pump.jpg
You don't happen to have that link handy do you? I remember seeing the post a while back but I can't find the link again.

found here bend
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=39097
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=136&item=67611&intAbsolutePage=

Latest posts