Homemade Hand Crevicing Suction Pumps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today Harro and I made a hand crevicing suction pump each. We used various sizes of pvc piping, joiners and caps. Mine is called the "bazooka" and has a section which retains the sucked up gravels etc. I included a wooden handle too. Harro's is a suck and pump only. Both have two attachments which are attached with a threaded section. Tried one out and look out crevices! Looking to give them a maiden run at Tuena around Anzac time.
1460006854_optimized-img_0275.jpg
:p

They look good, can u do a video of them working please.

Penfooy,

They should be fun.

I sometimes put a pop rivet across the intake, about 1 cm up the spout. This will prevent larger rocks jamming half way of the intake.

Also think about gently heating a spare tip and flattening slightly to get into those tight cracks, this can also stop larger gravel jamming the intake.

Happy Hunting,

Phantom

Mine looks the same as the one with the piece sticking ot the side but instead of a tee, I used a 45degree bend so that, on the down stroke, the heavies slide into the offset pipe. Well that's the theory anyway. Havent used it yet. May get a chance to give it a work out this Saturday.

Phantom said:
Penfooy,

They should be fun.

I sometimes put a pop rivet across the intake, about 1 cm up the spout. This will prevent larger rocks jamming half way of the intake.

Also think about gently heating a spare tip and flattening slightly to get into those tight cracks, this can also stop larger gravel jamming the intake.

Happy Hunting,

Phantom
Hey there Phantom, will try your suggestions, if they work as good as yours we'll be very happy

Tassie Daz said:
Mine looks the same as the one with the piece sticking ot the side but instead of a tee, I used a 45degree bend so that, on the down stroke, the heavies slide into the offset pipe. Well that's the theory anyway. Havent used it yet. May get a chance to give it a work out this Saturday.
Hi Tassie Daz, I wanted to use a bend instead of the T but my fave shop Bunnings didn't have the right size so settled for the T. It works on the same principal. These are our first attempts. Harro's is based on Baz and Peters and we know these work. Happy hunting on Saturday if you get there. Let us know how you go?

bazxa said:
penfooey & Harro what is in the middle of those thing please.
Can you let us know how they perform.

Barry
Hi Barry. We used about 100 mil of black rubber pipe insulation at the end of the plunger, tied on using small cable ties. The plunger is DN20 and the outer is DN40 white PVC with caps and joiners to suit. We are looking to replace the black rubber with plumbers test plugs which look like they would do a better job. Have to get these on the internet as we couldn't find them anywhere..well the size we need is not readily available. Will let you know how they go. :)

Hey Penfooey, Didn't make it mate. Was a bit crook on Saturday [tired and nauseous - all heart related] so had to pull the pin. May get a chance to do the trip next week or the one after, but its a day to day thing, especially when I don't take the van to crash in if I have to. I'll come back to yo with any results thou when they happen.

limpalot said:
Try the "Japanese steel cap" as a plunger rubber , is in a previous post on crevis pumps. Works bloody well, put about 3 layers in. cheap and works.
Excellent, will check it out and thanks.

cecc said:
Hi penfooey, what is a "Japanese Steel Cap"?
Hey, I don't know, Nanjim reckons thongs.....I've been trolling through posts for crevis pumps.....got to read heaps of excellent ideas, but could not find the post for "Japanese Steel Cap", can someone point me to the right posts? Can't believe how many top ideas people come up with.....you could spend days reading this stuff - that's ok, but I'd never get anything done lol

Ok pen no worries I use thong and rubber washers I make myself. Works a treat.

Latest posts