History of the sdc2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Minelab first came out with the sdc in 2016. 2016 was the first of a few years that it was originally a trail model to begin with. They wanted to tap into the shallow small target mid range market. The first lot of sdc were considered as a trail. 2019 was the turning point. After 3 years of further development and feed back from users. 2020 was the year the new sdc models came out since 2nd week in june 2020.

They are the next best thing and similar to when the gpx5000 first came out in 2012. So its revolutionary I guess.

The new sdc will be a permanent model for the next 10 years at least.

Talk the gpx4500 new model version are now dis continued and the gpx5000 maybe fazed out in 2-3 years time.

There will be an additional model to replace the gpx5000 then.

Currently to top 3 models are:

sdc2300
gpx5000
gpz7000

sdc so far have been the top seller and are tracking very well in terms of sales.

I was about to trade in my gpx4500 (2008 model) in 2018 but was told to wait for 2 years as a newer version was coming out by then also in 2018 they ran out of the sdcs too they did not make many of the first lot.

Now I have the new sdc2300 had it for a week used once for 3 hours.

Will have it for at least the next 6 years.

Lads at coiltek said 10 years if I look after it.

Covid thing has slowed up development too.

But during the 2020's minilab are going to go into further research and development too.

Its a case of watch this space too.

SDC2300 are number 1 but also internationally too. There are other countries where gold is too.

A very under rated one I feel are the gp3500 detectors too they were just before the gpx range.

This is for gold detectors so I have not mentioned the other types.

Its interesting the types of detectors past and present.

Mate I have two Honda CB 750's that I race, all yellow and call them the mellow yellow racing team lol

Re the detector types, myself and a lot of others have been hoping for a few years now that Minelab would tidy up the 5000 into a format somewhere between the Gold monster and the 7000, ie weight and size of the monster and the technology of the 5000 or 7000.
In a price range around 5K to 6K. Most of the 4500 and 5000 owners wouldn't upgrade unless they could get the 7000 technology at about the same $ cost and weight of the 5000. That being the case it is just a matter of time before Minelab need to increase their sales and will have another crack at this midrange market. I really think they underestimate the size of the market that want a 7000 but the cost and the weight is the problem. Certainly I don't see many old farts with a 7000 but I see a lot of old farts with 4500 and 5000 that would add weight to that opinion. Maybe Minelab should look more closely to the age demographics of existing customers to decide on their future products.

Latest posts