Hilly's prospecting picks ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to purchase a prospecting pick. Just wondering if anyone has got one of
Hilly's picks. If so what do you think of them.
Or can anyone recommend another pick maker

Thanks Banjo

Thanks GH. I've checked out his picks. They look the goods :Y:
Also sent him a pm. Waiting for him to get back. Would rather deal direct than go through eBay
Cheers

Banjo68 said:
Thanks GH. I've checked out his picks. They look the goods :Y:
Also sent him a pm. Waiting for him to get back. Would rather deal direct than go through eBay
Cheers
Hi Banjo, Email scent, Ron.

Ordered one of Ron's picks yesterday.
Had a chat over the phone. Nice bloke and very helpful
Thanks Ron :Y:
Can't wait to receive it and put it to work ;) :pickshovel:

Hi guys. Speaking of picks, has anyone else noticed the drop in finish quality in the past couple of years with the Walco line up? Last couple of times I got one, there was hardly any others at the shop at both times, I had to go through about a dozen to find one with a smooth (no splinters), and not skewifed handle. Even then I had to finish of the grinding on the scraper and digging end as they had not done any finishing grinding on the edges. A number had some really poorly fitted handles that would cause the head to twist to the side as you dug. I mentioned it to the guys there who agreed the quality was not what it used to be.
What's considered the best made and lasting pick these days?

How come you guys seemed to favour socketed picks rather than the more traditional approach of a tapered handle into a tapered eye?

Greenhornet_au said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=533143#p533143

Ron's pick being put together by an Expert handy 15yr old girl.

Solid good gear !!

:Y:
:)
I do appreciate the reply mate but the one in the link looks like the size down from the one I use. I'll be honest, though I have detected for 27 yrs, all my detecting mates are gone. Some deceased, others given up. I aint an old fella but not young either. Back to the point, Im not really up on the new gear even though I have kept on trucking detecting wise. Just been a bit out of the main loop. Im a loner now detecting wise which I dont mind but like I said out of the loop. I see and hear of different picks now n then but have seen like years ago, some looked great but bent like bananas when put in use or the handles snapped like twigs.
Does that crew make a next size up?

JD3 said:
Greenhornet_au said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=533143#p533143

Ron's pick being put together by an Expert handy 15yr old girl.

Solid good gear !!

:Y:
:)
I do appreciate the reply mate but the one in the link looks like the size down from the one I use. I'll be honest, though I have detected for 27 yrs, all my detecting mates are gone. Some deceased, others given up. I aint an old fella but not young either. Back to the point, Im not really up on the new gear even though I have kept on trucking detecting wise. Just been a bit out of the main loop. Im a loner now detecting wise which I dont mind but like I said out of the loop. I see and hear of different picks now n then but have seen like years ago, some looked great but bent like bananas when put in use or the handles snapped like twigs.
Does that crew make a next size up?

Have you looked at the Ron's eBay shop via the link post by Mr Duck earlier? There were originally three sizes of pick for sale there although it's only showing two sizes at the moment..However one is the Fast Recovery gold Digger pick and that might be more the size you are after..

I've been making these Gold Digger Picks and selling them now for about 4 years if your interested in having a look at them. Three sizes amall medium and large.

They are on here in the "Prospecting Equipment" section, also on Ebay and Gumtree and facebook, just search Gold Digger Picks and you will find them

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32781

cheers dave

Gold digger picks are great, I'm on my 2nd one...1st one got stolen....they must have seen how good they are :Y:

They move a LOT of dirt, very quickly, I'd buy another if anything happened to this one. I've got the medium? one 700mm handle I think.

Pete E said:
How come you guys seemed to favour socketed picks rather than the more traditional approach of a tapered handle into a tapered eye?

To have a traditional tapered handle into the tapered eye would add more weight and production complexity. Most of these picks are made either from old disc ploughs or vehicle leaf springs in very low volumes by makers who can't afford to invest in forging processes and so it helps to keep the cost down while still be able to make a quality product.

I have two, a large Walco and one of Ronalds smaller picks, the smaller one gets more of a workout than the Walco.

Whisp said:
Most of these picks are made either from old disc ploughs or vehicle leaf springs in very low volumes by makers who can't afford to invest in forging processes and so it helps to keep the cost down while still be able to make a quality product.

Or new plough discs as is the case with my Gold Digger Picks and there is no need to invest in a forging process as it has already been done on these discs, as well as hardened and tempered, high quality Boron steel that work hardens, unlike bisalloy 80 which is very strong but not good wearing

cheers dave

I'd rather support people/businesses on this forum.

Hey Dave, we've actually agreed on something :lol:

I like the Gold Digger pick I'm using and it's good value and moves a lot of dirt. :pickshovel:

Gpx5000 said:
I'd rather support people/businesses on this forum.

Hey Dave, we've actually agreed on something :lol:

I like the Gold Digger pick I'm using and it's good value and moves a lot of dirt. :pickshovel:

Yes your right Gpx5000, somethings we'll just have to agree to disagree on :playful: but the picks are great, and I'm glad you reckon the same :Y:

Happy gold hunting out there, and we'll be hopefully allowed out to camp/detect in NSW before to long, not sure if we'll even get to WA this year though. Always next year. :perfect:

cheers dave

Latest posts