Hi to all from the Sunshine Coast..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A big HELLO to everyone from a new but keen prospector.

I'm new to the gold hunt, in its natural state anyway. I have done some m/detecting at the beaches and fresh water swimming holes here on the coast over the last few months. I enjoy it lots but having 20+ people an hour stop you to ask what it is your looking for gets a little old quite quickly.

I've always loved exploring creeks and rivers so prospecting just seems a natural next step I think. My lovely wife is loving it as well. We went digging some cracks in the bedrock at a local creek the other day and there she was armpit deep and covered in rotten leaves and mud with the biggest smile on here face.

We have bought some basic gear like digging tools, pans, buckets and a classifier. Now we just have to get out there and find some color.
We are keen to meet others and share in the fun so if any of you are ever in the area with some time for a dig give us a yell. :)

Cheers to all.

Hello there Goldagettin, hope you do well and welcome to the forum(couple of us still stayin up late)
One good thing about headphones, if your time limited for the hunt you can just point to your head and feign deafness. Only thing is, sometimes it's the talkers that give you all the good clues to your next great hunt. They don't care about things like a detectorist would and will freely divulge secrets because they don't own a detector and probably never will. Mind you if there's a lot of em it can certainly keep your find tally down for the day.
I'm sure there are a few wild panners willing to share knowledge and help you and the missus fill a bottle(small one first). If the old timers could do it then, we should all be able to stumble across something now, surely.

Hi Silver, thank you for the warm welcome.

I agree about the talkers and clues but at holiday times it's more like an ambush on our local beaches, 5 swings = a question.... lol Easter is a no go for me as well. Last Easter I dug up about 300 small foil egg wrappers as well as the usual 100 or so pull tabs and other rubbish.

I'm going to do some panning in the morning in a few spots I've been thinking about for a while now. I hope to get my first spec of gold to start filling that bottle you spoke of (small one first)...lol

cheers again for the welcome.

Yes I know what you mean about the Easter Foil, and it always seems that no one else picks it up except us. Even then some operators discriminate it out and just take their share of goodies.
Here is a site that just has a little bit of info on it that could mean working in the dark summertime could be cool.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7542413_prospect-black-light.html
Let me know what you think ?

Welcome to the forum Goldagettin. I'm sure you will enjoy the progression from coin detecting to gold prospecting. A lot less people to bother you and ask silly questions. ;) Great to see the misses involved and enjoying it as well, as company is always a pleasure when out there in the bush.

Hope the forum helps you get off on the right foot with advice, and hope the gold cooperates for you on those outings...best of luck,

Cheers Wal.

Thank you very much WAL.

You and Liz are the reason we found and then joined this forum in the first place. We were watching your YouTube videos and you mentioned the forum a few times so we thought we would check it out, and here we are.
My wife and I love your vids buy the way, Liz has had us laughing our buts off and you guys show the true joy of this pursuit.

I'd like to thank you both for sharing that with us all.

cheers Paul :)

Latest posts