Hi from Tarago NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are not far from Oallen for panning, if you know anyone on properties along the Shoalhaven river it seems to have a lot of areas where panning is worth a try. Have a look at Minview, Tarago is approx in the middle of the picture, but a lot of areas are out of bounds for prospecting, maybe Wal & Liz may be of more assistance, you can do a search of the Forums on here and will get a lot of info from there. We normally only go to Maryborough Victoria now, panning is too hard on the knees now and rugged terrain is not on our list anymore. Good luck and welcome to the Form.

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 13-42-28 MinView Regional NSW Mining Exploration and Geoscience.png
Graham

I am looking at trying something new that will get me out into the scrub more often and figure I would try my hand at prospecting and fossicking. This seems like a great place to start and would appreciate any advice, tips, etc that you would like to share.
Welcome to the Forum Andy. You will find some very good and informative reading amongst the threads of the forum to get you well on the way in this great hobby. Oallen Forde is only half an hour away from you and would be a great place to start your adventures if gold panning is something you would like to learn. The Grabben Gullen region holds some good sapphires and there is many good crystal hunting areas not far from you. Good luck and see you amongst the threads... Wal.

Yes, that entire area through Tanjil to Icy Creek and Neerim South and Tarago is good - however quite a bit is restricted so determine no-go areas first.
Also thought it might have been the Tarago area in Victoria.
"Mr Wright of Tangil (sic) has been working this ground and pointed out the sites where the heavier pieces of gold were found. About 1200 pounds worth of gold is said to have been obtained from the workings. Nugget sizes were 19 oz, 16 oz, 12 oz, and several smaller"
Recollections of early Gippsland goldfields - Richard MacKay

"Mr Wright of Tangil (sic) has been working this ground and pointed out the sites where the heavier pieces of gold were found. About 1200 pounds worth of gold is said to have been obtained from the workings. Nugget sizes were 19 oz, 16 oz, 12 oz, and several smaller"
Back in the late 1970's my brother in-law found a half ounce nugget in the tanjil river near were the Blue Rock Spillway is today, it was a well worn nugget the shape of a heart. The rest of us only got fines in our pans.

As I mentioned here, I originally though Andy2398 was from the Tarago area in Victoria and although I realised later it was Tarago NSW, I still decided to post the above snippet of information about the Tarago/Tanjil goldfield in Victoria.
What I perhaps didn’t explain well to Andy was that there are many goldfields throughout Australia, many of them not well known. So one shouldn’t feel compelled to travel large distances to better known goldfields. Research your area and its history and concentrate on those goldfields within easier travelling distance and learn your skills there.

Latest posts