Hi from Black Springs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I've just purchased my new home that's surrounded by the Vulcan state forest, I'm new to this but it has captured my interest, are there any regulars at sapphire bend that I could meet one day and learn?
There's a river on my property (more like swampy grass) that looks to connect to the rest of the forest waterways, would that be worth checking for goodies?
Sorry, I'm keen to learn :D

Hi mate, it's always worth doing a few test holes.. I'd be happy to meet up next time I'm up that way I'll let you know.

Matturbo said:
Hi all, I've just purchased my new home that's surrounded by the Vulcan state forest, I'm new to this but it has captured my interest, are there any regulars at sapphire bend that I could meet one day and learn?
There's a river on my property (more like swampy grass) that looks to connect to the rest of the forest waterways, would that be worth checking for goodies?

Always worth a check. Welcome aboard. Hopefully not too many snakes in that swampy grass!!

Digginholes said:
Hi mate, it's always worth doing a few test holes.. I'd be happy to meet up next time I'm up that way I'll let you know.

Thanks guys, that would be great Digginholes, the property will be a weekender until February when we move for good .
I was considering a metal detector, but might hire one or see if one of you blokes would be interested in having a sweep, I'm surrounded by pine but my 72ac is native and lightly timbered.

Twapster said:
Matturbo said:

Always worth a check. Welcome aboard. Hopefully not too many snakes in that swampy grass!!

Snakes aren't too big of a concern, long,thick pants and gators will do the trick ( and possibly a 12g)

Matturbo said:
Digginholes said:

Thanks guys, that would be great Digginholes, the property will be a weekender until February when we move for good .
I was considering a metal detector, but might hire one or see if one of you blokes would be interested in having a sweep, I'm surrounded by pine but my 72ac is native and lightly timbered.
Sounds good mate I'll bring the xterra 705 you can have a go of that and see if you like detecting

Awesome, that's the model I've been looking into. Ta.
AuFever flat pack is piss funny, I'm not near Canberra though, but welcome to play.
I'll have some fresh handcrafted beer, scotch, bacon, jerky, sausage and cheese ready to go lol (I just bought a homebrew shop)

If you look at the Sponsors area of this site you will find some offers.

Due to the locality I have used the Sponsor link and signed up to Detector Den In Canberra, it is a small percentage off but it makes a difference if you are looking at a pricey item like a SDC2300 or a GPX5000. :)

Hey Matt, here's a link to get you started, in the link window there is a Google Earth Symbol, click on that and it will give you a data set in the left hand window of GE, take your time to look through it and find the Gemstone deposit button, that will give you the same window I put in the other thread, has georeferenced metallurgical maps and assay data, field observations, heaps of stuff. :)

http://dwh.minerals.nsw.gov.au/CI/warehouse

You're in a top spot for fossicking, I'd say with almost 100% certainty there will probably be Sapphires and a bit of Gold on your place and if not it's just a short trip to the forest. A BBQ sounds awesome and home brew shop owner as well....... will we ever want to leave? :) Reeko, Kingsolomon, Wally69 and myself camped up there last weekend and found a few, had many beers and a great time too. Met Digginholes also. :)

Would be very happy to share any knowledge and any techniques with you, there are some other very experienced members who frequent the area also who may be keen to meet up with you also and others you'll always meet at the public fossicking area near Sapphire Bend Rd in the forest.

I've got a GPX5000 and SDC2300 so if there are any tiny nuggets hiding there we have a very decent chance of finding 1 or 2.

Thanks Heatho, I think the only way people will leave is if they're VB or new drinkers, I only make craft beer lol
I've had a quick try to find the gemstone button, I might pull the laptop out later instead of IPad.
This sucks, I'm starting to spend too much time researching lol, another hobby to the list, now I just need to sell dragbike to finance new toys for new home, horses, dirtbike, prospecting gear.... Never ends

Hey matturbo welcome to the forum where there is great is great advise/information aswell as some great people. I know someone who lives up at black springs but have only been up to sapphire bend once which was in the middle of winter, cold in the shade but very pleasant in the sunshine.

Hope it goes well with your sapphire hunting! :)

Hi mate, cheers, yeah I surprised with the temperature, when we looked at the place there was snow everywhere in the shade, but gorgeous in the sun, and I hate cold lol
My missus is already sick of my excitement, when we settle on the place in a couple of weeks we'll go down to SB and see if she likes it, if not we have other hobbies we share, bikes, shooting, horses, we drag race.
I ran a BBQ by her, it'll be prob late summer once we get settled and I get to know a few of you better for a big member BBQ, she's worried about crazies knowing where we are and being secluded, I'm more worried about a trespasser getting in the way of a 308 round flying towards a pig lol

Latest posts