Hi all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, based in Burpengary, Queensland, I don't think there is alot around here, I will have to go to Gympie I think or around that area. I have just brought a Simplex + metal detector, just working out how it all works. Anyone had any luck around this area? Probably going to try the beaches first.

Hi Kiwi,
It’s funny, about 29 years ago, when I was living up in Ipswich I went up to Blackbutt on a day trip, site-seeing. I walked up this old dried up creek and found a boulder sticking out of the bank. I stood on it and it came away leaving a neat hollow, the bottom of which was full of black sand. I grabbed two plastic grocery bags from the car and filled them. When I got home I panned them out and was stunned by the amount of gold in the pan. My mates blew me off saying it had to be fools gold, but it wasn’t. The gold was all fine/flower gold and there was over half a gram. Sadly, I got side tracked by Inverell and sapphires and never went back.
However, I have done a bit of research regarding the Brisbane area and the area has had quite a few gold finds and mines put down. It makes for very interesting reading. A lot of the creeks and rivers are gold bearing especially in Brisbanes north. So maybe there’s places where you can go, that’s close to home and have a play around. Worth a look.

Cheers - Mr Tee

Thanks, will definitely give it a go. Still feeling my way as where to go & where you can & can’t go.
Gidday again Kiwi,

In Brissy, private properties apparently go right to the creek/rivers edge. Don’t quote me on that but I was told years ago when I got excited about this gold all over the place thingy. There are places; like public parks, public walkways and tracks you can do etc, (but not Reserves or State land unless you have express permission), otherwise you’ll need to get permission from the owners of private areas/properties you’d like to detect or prospect on: you know, like farms, race courses, sports grounds, exciting places like that.
I think it’s best if you check it out with the relevant Local and State authorities first. I doubt that’d be to hard.

Cheers Bud,
Mr Tee

Hi grubstake,

Just read that article. Super super cool. Used to drive under those arches every day going to work and back. Never knew about those appartments! They’re fantastic.
As for the gold, I have no doubt there’s plenty in that river. All the creeks and other waterways that run into the Brisbane river cross the same gold areas right from the Darling Downs. There simply has to be gold there. I’d love a special permit to dredge in there. Probably the only sane way to do it.

Cheers - Mr Tee

Don’t be put off by being told gold is only to be found in the goldfields wherever they may be. Gold has been found in Melbourne under basalt at Collingwood and there was a gold mine where the Flagstaff gardens now are.
My advice to anyone starting out is to learn the skill of panning and do some wherever you can get access. You just never know what you might find and not necessarily even gold.
The best way to start a foundation of knowledge for your prospecting journey.

It is illegal to fossick in that zone and very open to public view day or night.
Afternoon Jaros,

I was wondering if you had missed my question on your comment above? I’m a little stumped as to which zone you were referring to.
Also “open to the public view day or night”…….?
If you could, would you please give me a heads up about this.

Thank you - Mr Tee

Latest posts