HI All, I am in Mel Eastern suburbs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Been interested in detecting etc for some time, but never tried it till last weekend. Went to mate's place in Stanley. We found some great chinese coins near Beechworth, and a good amount of gold from Reidy Creek.

Keen to buy a detector of my own now, and look for a few places around Melbourne (I am in Ringwood, to close to Lilydale, the yarra etc) or maybe beach with kids

Welcome huppy99, It might pay to read the rules about accessible rivers and creeks for fossicking becaise i'm sure you can't do it in the Yarra.
Jaros :p

Welcome Huppy99.
Jaros is right about the Yarra and watch out for Rangers because they will give you a hard time about where and how you can do anything !!!!!!!

Jaros said:
Welcome huppy99, It might pay to read the rules about accessible rivers and creeks for fossicking becaise i'm sure you can't do it in the Yarra.
Jaros :p
I think he meant the yarra ranges, he was just saying where he is close to.

Yes, I heard you can't do panning etc on the yarra.

Organising a miners right.

We weren't detecting at Reidys Creek. We were panning etc.

Thanks for the notes everyone. Next task is how to get the gold we pulled from that creek out of a jar full of heavy sand etc.
Sounds like the method using mercury is maybe the best.

huppy99 said:

Thanks for the notes everyone. Next task is how to get the gold we pulled from that creek out of a jar full of heavy sand etc.
:eek: :eek: Dude NEVER Use Mercury :eek:
There are much easier ways rather than using DEADLY CHEMICALS i.e a Pan :)

dam it said:
huppy99 said:

:eek: :eek: Dude NEVER Use Mercury :eek:
There are much easier ways rather than using DEADLY CHEMICALS i.e a Pan :)
Yep what he said x 100
I'm in croydon if you need some help yell out. XIV is close by too and is very helpful also.

Occasional_panner said:
I'm in croydon if you need some help yell out. XIV is close by too and is very helpful also.

OK thanks! Might do that when I get some time. The material I have in the jar is all the heavier leftovers from the sluice and the gold doesn't seem to be easily settling at the bottom of the mix. Wasn't game to pan more of it out in case I lost some! Looks like a good amount of gold still in there.

huppy99 said:

Time to build yourself a small clean up sluice.
Then dry your cons. And run an earth magnet over it.

Latest posts