Heya

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey,

Just a quick hello to introduce myself. I've always been a fan of rocks and crystals, although my knowledge on them is fairly basic.
My dad lives in Sapphire, QLD, and I spent a lot of time specking for sapphires as a kid. Most of the crystals I own have just been bought in stores, because I never really get a chance to go out hunting my own.

I'm currently living in Brisbane, but I grew up in the Upper Hunter NSW. I don't suppose there's much else to say, really.

/end awkward introduction.

*Edit to say -

I forgot to mention that I'm also a fan of metal detecting. I've never found much, other than some common old pennies, sixpence, threepence and a bunch of current day money. I've mostly searched around old farms and abandoned church yards, so that explains the coins I guess. ^_^

What detector are you using? Welcome. I like the name of the suburb your dad lives in....did you guys find any good ones?

Peter

Thanks for the welcome :)

Sapphire is actually the name of the town, it's pretty small, though. It's part of an area known as the Gem Fields, there's also a town called Emerald, and one called Rubyvale. I never found anything especially big or worth cutting, but there were some fantastic colours in what I did find. My sister found a green and yellow party colour dogs tooth, which was almost perfectly clear, so she had that made into a necklace. It recently fell out of the setting, but if I can find it, I'll try to get a picture, it's very pretty!

Now to look like a total "noob", because I don't know what sort of detector my dad gave me. I recently moved, so I don't have access to it to check the model. I do know it's really old, late 70's or early 80's model, and he said it was designed for gold. You can adjust the sensitivity and ground reject, and easily tell the difference in sound between junk like aluminium and things worth digging for, like coins. This picture I found online isn't mine, but it looks just like the second detector here:

1384251588_metal_detectors.jpg

What ever it is, it's really good and very light! Nothing fancy.

Thanks, Goldpick :D

Yes, after checking google, that's the one I have! I'm glad someone knew, haha.

Hey kelly
Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge here as I know I have and you'll meet lots of helpful people too.

welcome kelly, sounds like youve got the gold bug ... bad joke anyway i'm sure you'll enjoy the forum lots of like minded opinionated people here

Thanks Tiger and Digga! It seems like a quiet but friendly forum, lots of nice people. I probably won't post much, but I've appreciated the welcome and the help I've had in my other thread. :D

Latest posts