help with ID of gemstone please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer385

Terry Rushton
Reaction score
Hi all,

Got this at Grabben Gullen yesterday.

It scratches glass and quartz and has a depth of colour that is not quite apparent in the photo below which was taken with my Iphone. weighs .94 ct
1439607021_dads_phone_15082015_151.jpg

Hi Explorer385, I have not been to Grabben Gullen and am unsure what array of gems it is possible to find there but if the mineral you have scratches quartz I would guess it is either zircon or garnet. Spinel or corundum is possible but the colour is very uncommon for the two. Lastly it could be quartz but the surface texture and pitting does not seem like quartz. RDD

Thanks RDD,

I know we get spinel and zircons there but I now have 3 pieces of this yellow - one more rounded and another a bit like this one.

The pitting on the surface is similar to that I have seen on some black spinel, but I'll keep trying to find out what it is.

It is remarkably transparent so even small, might cut up nice.

Terry

Looks very much like a zircon from the pic. Coming from GG there's a fair bit of tumbled glass out there as well. If you've got a pocket scale ( which you weighed the .94 ct with), weigh it and a similar sized bit of quartz or broken glass. Zircon has a SG of between 3.9 and 4.7, and quartz or glass 2.6 so the zircon will be very noticeably heavier than the latter....ie the quartz / glass will be half as big again as the zircon for the same weight.

Wal.

Same hardness stones will scratch each other quite easily so quartz and glass have no problem scratching each other. SG sorts them out real fast.

Wal.

OK, so I got a piece of quartz which looks very similar in size to the stone above and it went .725 ct.

Didn't have any glass same size so will look around for a piece.

Terry

Explorer385 said:
OK, so I got a piece of quartz which looks very similar in size to the stone above and it went .725 ct.

Didn't have any glass same size so will look around for a piece.

Terry

That would confirm to me that the stone you have would be a Zircon.....but to throw a spanner in the works we've found a few garnets out there as well. 99.9% sure it will be a Zircon from the colour though.

Wal.

Hi Atom Rat,

It's .94 of a carat and looks like it will cut nicely even though it is small. I have found 3 of them now over a couple of years but the other 2 are probably not cutters.

I will probably get it cut for my collection if I can find someone good.

Terry

Thanks Heatho,

Seen quite a few comments from members saying they do a good job.

Have a few sapphires to send as well.

Like to support our members though if anyone is interested in cutting small stuff.

Terry

Me too mate I'm with you but most locals wouldn't be bothered cutting the really small stuff unless it is outstandingly good. I felt the same dillema starting out, save the larger good ones to get done locally though.

Latest posts