Help Please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
arrived home today to find this sitting near my front door
now to read the writing do i clean it up on the wire wheel of will the wreck it
can anyone tell me what the words are and about how old is it
the writing that i can make out or i think i can make out

ST??APYS BEAVER
HESPLEP
EXCELS?OR

1522978804_100_73711.jpg

1522978824_100_73721.jpg

1522978918_100_73731.jpg

Hi Marksman, further quick research looks like it's a vintage coal miners pick, Google antique miners picks and look at the images, lots that look similar.

Well the writing says ST MARYS BEAVER and in the middle it says HESPELER

other side says EXCELSIOR and there is an M above Excelsior and what looks like a 1 below Excelsior cant find anything about it on line hope this helps .

ST MARYS IS A CHURCH/SCHOOL in a town called HESPELER CANADA

PP

It sure is hard to find anything. On my internet travels, I saw something similar that had "excelsior" on it as well, but it had a star on it and they said it was from Germany. I also saw another, similar one that someone suggested was a coal miner's pick

If you want to clean it without damaging it hang it on a wire in a tub of molasses with about 30% water and it will remove the rust without degrading the steel And leave it in there for a couple or 3 weeks, It is the safest way, We use to use that to clean Vintage car springs because if you sand blast them they loose their temper " No" I don't mean they get pissed off, LOL,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean they don't loose their resistance but it will bring it up newish, Ok.

Hope that helps,

John.

Latest posts