Help Please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.62marksman said:
that does help thanks mate

It's a slow process but if you ever have anything that can't be replaced that's the best method out of all of them. It might take longer and again it might not, It will even strip off old paint.

John.

I think it's aluminum that gets eaten up in the molasses baths... just to save on disappointment during some enthusiastic future event where that u-beaut alloy car part needs cleaning.... cause you might not be able to find it anywhere in the bottom of the bath (or recognise it).
Someone set me straight if I'm incorrect. :Y:

silver said:
I think it's aluminum that gets eaten up in the molasses baths... just to save on disappointment during some enthusiastic future event where that u-beaut alloy car part needs cleaning.... cause you might not be able to find it anywhere in the bottom of the bath (or recognise it).
Someone set me straight if I'm incorrect. :Y:

Yeah don't put Alloy in there or it will eat it if it is left in there too long, You can put it in for a few hours and keep checking it but don't leave it in there, Steel and Iron is fine.

Bought an old miners pick at the local antique dealer in Mount Hunter nsw before I left Sept 2017, must have a look at the markings tomorrow. I bought the miners pick because the chinese mattock I bought in Sapphire qld hardware, was a heavy unbalanced piece of steel and useless to dig with,

The old picks will have better steel in them and because of this the weight is much less, also the angles of the spikes are better for digging into the face of a bank,

ray

Nice pick, I have one with original handle, thought you might like to see.

1571402870_img_20191018_224115.jpg

1571402870_img_20191018_224143.jpg

1571402870_img_20191018_224049.jpg

1571402870_img_20191018_224210.jpg

I came across the rusty head of one of these last year in Milk Maid Gully near Dunolly in Vic. Thought I was on a winner as I dug down to it. It was broken on one side of the handle-hole and probably left there with a curse by some old timer in the 1800's. Nice find Peter :Y: Oh, and Welcome to P.A :)

Latest posts