Hello

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya all.

A number of years ago I did a lot of panning up around the Thompson in Vic and really enjoyed it. As happens, work started to interfere with social life and some things had to be cut. Now as time has gone by, I'm back in a position to rekindle my fossicking dreams. I've also in that time moved to SA.

I do a lot of work for a wind farm near Cowell so I've decided to throw away the pan and hit the dirt with some electronics around Kattata or even the Tarcoola region.

I have zero experience with detecting and can see this is going to be a frustrating beginning, however I have tenacity and will keep going until I am confident in the use of the equipment.

I've set an initial budget of ~$8K to kit up with - that includes everything I need including a decent swag and a GPS. My business will suddenly develop the need for a sat phone and some 4x4 recovery stuff, so that side is covered but I will dearly appreciate any advice on the following:

Equipment. What is a good rig to buy? I have looked a lot at the minelab detectors and am being advised to rent before buying - I'm in 2 minds about that.

Kattata. As this is quite close to Cowell (in the big scheme) - is it worth having a go in this area?

Tarcoola. Is the effort in getting there worth the outcome? I can't see any accommodation or amenities actually at Tarcoola so if anyone has first hand information, again I would greatly appreciate it.

Finally, as initially a fossicker, I don't need a miners right in SA, however I am starting to read a few websites that say I need a license. I'm still researching the process, so forgive me for such a noob question, but can someone please explain the actual start up process I need to take.

I appreciate all help.

Cheers

Gordon

nucopia said:
Gday Gordon, welcome to the forum ..out of curiosity where is Kattata tried to google it and nothing comes back ..

A picture speaks 1000 words

1555974993_kattata.jpg

Latest posts