Hello to all, Im new

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm Spriteah.

I'm new to metal detecting. I have been looking for a new hobby to go with the others I have. I fly planes, building a plane, ride a motor bike and now metal detect.

I have little idea what I'm doing but willing to learn. I have purchased a Garrett Ace350 and been hitting the beach with it. I have made $2.20 so far and found a thomas train engine. After lots of reading I have ordered a Infinium LS and am waiting for that to arrive. I want to hit the beaches in the water as I can tell the sand above the water line has been cleaned out (for lack of better wording) by others.

I will also hit the gold fields with the infinium.

With the Ace 350 I'm finding lots of junk. I presume this means I'm doing it right. Love advice. Photo from todays finds. Lots of the small stuff 6+ Inches in sand.

PS. Is it normal to sometimes get tone. Then dig and it disappears?

Regards, Spriteah.

1374231509_detector1.jpg

Hi Spriteah, looks like the detector is working ok, nice collection of stuff there, hope it turns to nice coins and other collectibles for you soon!

Cheers, Tone

Welcome to the forum Spriteah.

If you are only just starting out, I'd give the Ace 350 a bit more time before writing it off, they are a very capable machine in the right hands.

To answer your question of Is it normal to sometimes get tone, then dig and it disappears? Yes this can happen in certain ground conditions and is most likely due to poor ground tracking, so be sure you ground balance often. If it's happening regularly at the beach, there's also a good chance you're picking up on the tiny back of an earring or something very small that is getting away from you once you start digging. This happens to me a lot on busy beaches as they seem to contain a lot of small targets such as ripped up foil, hairpins, earring backs etc which can be difficult to locate.

I bet your excited about the Infinium, from what I hear they are not a bad machine. I still might get one someday.

Nugget.

G'day mate thanks for coming along, dig em all, ditch the trash, keep the goodies if they are coins, report and hand in to the Police any rings or identifiable goodies you find; after 90 days if they aren't claimed - you own them! (QLD anyway)

Thanks Guys,

Yep same rules in Victoria. If not claimed their yours are 90 days. I will continue to use the Ace350. Find the hobby good fun. Cannot wait for better finds.

Latest posts