Hello from the Adelaide Hills

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
Just checking in, been lurking for a while and generally find some great reading on here so I thought I'd better register.

I'm Ken and I live out near Springton in the eastern Adelaide Hills (not far from Mt Crawford).
I've got 34 hectares out in the moss-rock country here that I enjoy with my wife and a couple of young boys. I do a bit of brewing, distilling, shooting and fossicking around on the place.
Also a member of the local CFS so I get to see quite a bit of the country around the place locally from time to time.
I work in the suburbs and do the 75km each way commute every day, sounds outrageous I know, but it's oh so worth it...

So....I don't have a detector of my own as yet but do have access to some Minelab F3ci detectors basically for whenever I'd like to use them.
(Some informed people can probably guess where I may work...... ;) )
Not sure how good they are for what I'm using them for but they are very compact and can be deployed at a seconds notice when you feel like having a quick swing in some surreptitious location. hahaha

I've gone over the place a little bit with the detectors but haven't found any gold, although there is plenty of evidence from the distant past here that the quartz veins have been picked over with a sledge hammer and there are a couple of exploratory holes in the creek from a long tine ago. Not sure if anyone ever found anything.
Geologically, the place looks like typical gold country, quartz veins, iron and copper deposits, black/green sands in the creek etc but nothing with the detector so far.
Here's hoping. Maybe I just need a better machine.....
All I have found so far on a couple of quick forays with the detector are some old shotgun rounds, a few bullets and an old steel heel from somebody's boot and a piece of very old handmade steel chain from the distant past.
All good fun though.
I'll post some pics if I get a spare moment.

Anyway, that's me, drop in and say hi!

Easyrollin said:
Hi All
Just checking in, been lurking for a while and generally find some great reading on here so I thought I'd better register.

I'm Ken and I live out near Springton in the eastern Adelaide Hills (not far from Mt Crawford).
I've got 34 hectares out in the moss-rock country here that I enjoy with my wife and a couple of young boys. I do a bit of brewing, distilling, shooting and fossicking around on the place.
Also a member of the local CFS so I get to see quite a bit of the country around the place locally from time to time.
I work in the suburbs and do the 75km each way commute every day, sounds outrageous I know, but it's oh so worth it...

So....I don't have a detector of my own as yet but do have access to some Minelab F3ci detectors basically for whenever I'd like to use them.
(Some informed people can probably guess where I may work...... ;) )
Not sure how good they are for what I'm using them for but they are very compact and can be deployed at a seconds notice when you feel like having a quick swing in some surreptitious location. hahaha

I've gone over the place a little bit with the detectors but haven't found any gold, although there is plenty of evidence from the distant past here that the quartz veins have been picked over with a sledge hammer and there are a couple of exploratory holes in the creek from a long tine ago. Not sure if anyone ever found anything.
Geologically, the place looks like typical gold country, quartz veins, iron and copper deposits, black/green sands in the creek etc but nothing with the detector so far.
Here's hoping. Maybe I just need a better machine.....
All I have found so far on a couple of quick forays with the detector are some old shotgun rounds, a few bullets and an old steel heel from somebody's boot and a piece of very old handmade steel chain from the distant past.
All good fun though.
I'll post some pics if I get a spare moment.

Anyway, that's me, drop in and say hi!

Hiya Ken, I'm TT, I'm way down near Outer Harbour.
Sounds like you have a nice spread at Springton. We used to board our dog at the Bed and Biscuit which is up that way.
They say that gold is were you find it, and that it isn't where it's not.
Have you tried panning in and near the creek?, it can be a good indicator if you can find some alluvial colour.

Anyway glad you have joined up at PA, and look forward to seeing some pics.
Good luck and hope you get some yellow.

TT :)

G'day Ken, great to see another local on this forum, as pointed out by your own observations there is a lot of valuable information to be found here let alone a reduction in the learning curve when it comes to the usage and understanding of detectors.
Its a nice location you live at, I have driven through the area a few times casting a eye moreso over the landscape then on the road .. touch wood I didn't end up parked against a gum tree.
By the way ... what is that in your profile pic... I not sure if it is a spider under a step or a hugh crab ????.

Peter.

Hi Ken, Welcome to this great forum.

F3 huh?....hmmm...can only mean 1 occupation ;)

Sounds like you have a good spot there, if I had it I would be spending every spare minute with the family down at that creek.

Cheers

G'day Ken,

I was down your way last weekend fossicking in the Millendilla and Tunkillo area with the Murraylands Gem & Mineral club (Clubrooms are at Collier Park Palmer). We found beryl, garnets, quartz crystals & epidote

We're planning our next trip out again in the same area but to different locations would be great or you & the family join us on a trip some time soon. I've attached the Murraylands Club link for you.

There are many members who are keen detectors who can help show you the ropes. Also the Club runs the SA Metal detecting championship in May each year

http://murraylandsgmc.org.au/

Cheers

Latest posts