Hello from Newcastle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am Jim and have been cutting opal and gem stones as a hobby for quite a while. I usually buy my rough but now I am retired I have the time to do a bit of prospecting. I am interested in the Barrington Tops area as it is close by. I know there is sapphire, ruby, etc in the creeks but have read and heard that it is all small stuff, mainly not suited for cutting. Can anyone confirm or otherwise the truth in this or advise of likely prospects not too far from Newcastle? Thanks.

I am Jim and have been cutting opal and gem stones as a hobby for quite a while. I usually buy my rough but now I am retired I have the time to do a bit of prospecting. I am interested in the Barrington Tops area as it is close by. I know there is sapphire, ruby, etc in the creeks but have read and heard that it is all small stuff, mainly not suited for cutting. Can anyone confirm or otherwise the truth in this or advise of likely prospects not too far from Newcastle? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum Jim.

Latest posts