Hello Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTOZ

Greg Templeman
Reaction score
I'm GTOZ,
from Horsham in Victoria and have only just started with detecting. I bright my first metal detector on Friday, the (X-Terra 705 Gold)
I have been doing a lot of research before I went out and spent hard cold cash and must say that I'm happy I did...
I've been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks and have learnt a lot from what you people have been saying...
I look at it as just getting out there and having some fun instead of sitting on my bum whiching TV each weekend, and to be able to met new people and friends..
However, I took the 705 out yesterday just to try it and to learn more about the 705 and today I cannot move, my leg mussel are sore as..
I really dont know where to start looking for places to go detecting but all in goodtime hay...
I also would like to be part of a club..

Cheers everyone...

GTOZ

Hi GTOZ - Horsham is an ideal base. You are close to the crown land at Stawell, Ararat, St Arnaud etc. Check the Geovic site (free) and you can check deep and shallow leads for your area, plus it has a crown land overlay. Geovic can be a bit fidgety to start with but you will get there by trail and error. Plus you can resize the maps, personalise and download for free. There are also gold maps available for Ararat and St Arnaud - not sure about Stawell. The Ararat map covers as far north as Great Western. (These are Stones maps - check the online suppliers, and I know the Ararat tourist place definitely had them about 6 months ago. About $20.) As for the 705, I have used the Xterra 70 - the version before yours. You will need to play with the sensitivity on mineralised ground. I would start on mullock heaps and then move on from there. get some various sized lead sinkers, flatten them to various sizes and play with them on the ground you want to detect. these will give you an indication of what you should be listening to. A big tip with any VLF or small coil detecting is don't walk, don't move your feet, just stand still and slowly swing your coil and then move on. Try starting at a 10 second sweep on your test pieces and then find the optimum speed etc. get as low as you can - I wear out skids plates at a regular rate - that's why they are there. Have fun mate - you will do well. Always remember - go low and slow, and fill in your holes.

Hi GTOZ, welcome to the forum. You have bought the same metal detector I will be buying soon. I have done some research as well and this one seems to work the best for me. I would love to know how you get on with it. Good luck and and hope we can share our adventures on this forum.

Hi GTOZ. Welcome to the forum. You've chosen a great machine with the X-terra 705. I know it'll lead to other great models in the Minelab range and some fabulous finds. Good luck!

Thanks everyone..

Yes I have been learning everything I can from all of you and its been great..
My problem now is TELSTRA and have been cut off from the internet world thanks to the ex-wife..

Anyway went out this weekend with my son-in-law on his farm, it was all about getting to know my 705, we found a lot of bottle tops which we thought was funny, but my daughter didnt see the funny side and ash got a month full for drinking to much...haha you had to be there to see the funny side of it...
I have been working on the geovic3 site and yes its very hard to ubderstand but ill get there...

Cheers All....

gday GTOZ welcome to the forum, ive just started with a VLF as well Whites GMT, ive been out three days now each day I learn so much i'm sure youll be on the colour soon mate

Latest posts