Hearing problems ... what am I missing.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
OK, been using the SDC since it was first released so many many years ago. But believe hearing is impacting my results.

Can genuinely state that I will find gold 90-95% of the times that I go out and I know I should be happy with that (and to a certain extent I am).

Ditto with the GPX 4800 with a range of coils but success is limited. Mainly through a lack of use, not finding gold within a couple of hours and then reverting to the SDC.

Best bits with both detectors range from those that don't register on the scales to a lovely 22gm nugget.

Here's the BUT ....... while I get my 1's and 2's, sometimes 10's and 12's there are other operators out there doing MUCH better averaging 10 or more on their outings.

I know that some of that would be related to location BUT have had experiences where I've taken mates to spots where I've got my 2's and 3's and they immediately ping 7's, 8's or more (anyone remember how Scrounger used to clean up?).

There are times when my better half will have a go at me, can't hear the oven timer chiming, can't hear the iron pinging to say it's been left unattended etc. etc. ..... clearly I don't hear tones that she does.

SO .... and this may be difficult, but what tone range does the SDC actually use (in either of it's 2 settings).
There is a "tone generator" website that can be used for a lot of varying things ..... if I knew what the SDC tone was it could be entered and the tone replayed (at varying volumes) .... that might identify what tones can or can't I hear.

Probably something for someone with experience (Nenad/Pat-SteelPhase etc) out there could advise on or have a fiddle with to determine which tone to set the "app" to to replicate the SDC tones.

Ultimately perhaps a SP01 v2(or something) that can change a tone from something inaudible to a range of people to something in the range they can hear.

Sorry it's a bit long winded but hope you get my drift....
The link is below,
Cheers Tom

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I don't know anything about the SDC sorry Teemore, but I do have some degree of industrial deafness according to tests many years ago (and from memory one ear is worse than the other in a certain frequency range).

I run a 5000 with headphones and an sP01, and have never used an external speaker simply because with the Sunray Pro Gold headphones there is a volume adjustment on each cup, and I find just like playing with the balance on a stereo system I can adjust them until I can hear the sound like it's directly above the middle of my head.

Combined with the choice of 3 settings on the sP01, it's like my hearing is normal again. I don't know if you run headphones on an SDC or not, but if you have any form of industrial deafness I think you'd have to go headphones. I say this because before I had my ears checked, if I was in a room and people were talking or it was noisy etc., if a particular person was talking to me I couldn't discriminate and home in on what they were saying. All I could hear was a garbled mess from everything. Take that to the goldfields with trees, the wind, birds, leaves crunching underfoot etc., I'm convinced the only way to clean up the garbled mess is to wear a good pair of headphones to block out external noises, and filter the sound from the coil through an sP01.

-Just my two bobs worth

-D.S.

P.S. Mrs D.S is always saying I'm as deaf as a post too, although that may be a case of selective hearing O:)

Deepseeker said:
I don't know anything about the SDC sorry Teemore, but I do have some degree of industrial deafness according to tests many years ago (and from memory one ear is worse than the other in a certain frequency range).

I run a 5000 with headphones and an sP01, and have never used an external speaker simply because with the Sunray Pro Gold headphones there is a volume adjustment on each cup, and I find just like playing with the balance on a stereo system I can adjust them until I can hear the sound like it's directly above the middle of my head.

P.S. Mrs D.S is always saying I'm as deaf as a post too, although that may be a case of selective hearing O:)

Using the same SP01 with Sunray Gold Pro headphones .... I find I can use hearing aids with them, many others are too shallow and give that "whistling" effect common to hearing aids. Blaney & Saunders have a "free" online test ..... not much difference if I do it with or without aids.... might have to plug in headphones and see if that makes a difference.
Cheers T.

I have a similar hearing deficiency as DS.
If you set your threshold according to the manual...(set low but just audible) you WILL hear the slightest variation which is a target.
You have to find the best settings on your detector also, i had a GPX4000 and my mate had a GPX4500 he could hear faint targets in 'enhance' that i could not get.
You have to walk over it.

ps. Technique is a factor...slow down. :argh:

Latest posts