Headphones over speakers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently tried detecting again with my sdc only using the speaker and i'm really struggling to eliminate those external noises such as wind and my footsteps on the undergrowth to the point i've gone back with the headphones despite the heat. The earphones are comfortable but bloody hot and i end up getting sweat in my ears which makes detecting in the heat uncomfortable and the signals also hard to hear. I know somebody on here wears a sun tube but i don't like them except when i'm out fishing in the sun.
One thing i noticed the other day when i was detecting for a short time close (about 50 feet away) to Steelpat was how much even the noise from his detector scraping the ground was still able to be heard when i had my earphones on and setting on 4, to the point in fact where it was interfering with my concentration.
I'm sure many of the gold pieces i get just wouldn't be heard without the earphones, the signals are so feint.
Anybody got any solutions or suggestions for some sort of comfortable but quality earplugs etc?
Thanks all.

Have you got your external speakers position near top of your shoulders, if not you should have. also if you wear a wide brimmed hat it tends confine signals.
Even on windy days you just have to turn your head and one ear is on the leeward side.
Suffered badly from "divers ears" in the early days, when the speakers hit the market have never returned to headphones.

The speaker on the SDC isn't worth 2c. Mounted wrong side for most, no volume control etc.
I couldn't use the headphones - don't like them at all on any machine but they were particularly painful to use on the SDC.
Don't s'pose you know anyone with a booster/external speaker set up you could try?
My solution was to go wireless & have the booster speaker attached on my shoulder just under my right ear. Had no issues with signals & also gave the SDC volume control.
Sounds like you may be easily distracted though Scrounge - like my old school reports :lol:

"he's a good little boy but easily distracted" that was definitely in a few of my early report cards mate. Later on in secondary school the reports basically said 'we can't do anymore for scrounger and suggest he leaves and gets a job" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really do have to concentrate when i'm out there and the earphones tend to help me do that by concentrating the sounds. Maybe i just need to suck it up and stop being a wuss. :lol:

SCROUNGER said:
"he's a good little boy but easily distracted" that was definitely in a few of my early report cards mate. Later on in secondary school the reports basically said 'we can't do anymore for scrounger and suggest he leaves and gets a job" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really do have to concentrate when i'm out there and the earphones tend to help me do that by concentrating the sounds. Maybe i just need to suck it up and stop being a wuss. :lol:
I think that was part of being taught to be a teacher, you had to get the report card quotes correct, such as 'easily distracted'
'could do better if he focussed more' 'a delight to teach' (i got one of them once :lol: :lol: ) 'he distracts the other class members' 'he needs to apply himself more' ' a pleasure to teach' (never got one of those) etc etc
Thanks for the info mate, i'll have a look. :)

SteelPat said:
Now I know how to put you off getting all the gold. I will be closer and make lots of scraping noises lol :lol:
I didn't mention it mate, and at first i didn't know what t was, but then realised it was your disc on the gravel. Not that it was that bad, but it was definitely distracting me. :lol: :lol:
Oh by the way Pat, i've found a new spot where i reckon the 7000 will rip it. Not sure you'll get you van in there though :lol:

Scrounger,

This might be an answer to headphones sweating up. I have been looking for an agency that sell these locally. See/ read USA link.
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1362

Blackwoods Australia also sell these.
https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/09858409/pads-sweat-secure-range-excsa123-20
I would like to try the pads against my headphones for fit prior to purchasing, may be different shape/ size. These are a box of 100 units.
Maybe there are other suppliers that sell individual packets.
Hope this helps,
Regards

Ian

belladonna said:
Scrounger,

This might be an answer to headphones sweating up. I have been looking for an agency that sell these locally. See/ read USA link.
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1362

Blackwoods Australia also sell these.
https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/09858409/pads-sweat-secure-range-excsa123-20
I would like to try the pads against my headphones for fit prior to purchasing, may be different shape/ size. These are a box of 100 units.
Maybe there are other suppliers that sell individual packets.
Hope this helps,
Regards

Ian
Thanks bella, they'd do the job with the sweating for sure i reckon. On a hot day you'd probably go through at least 4 i reckon so buying 100 wouldn't be an issue. need to get a sample to test for fist against the earphones.

Latest posts