Headlamp information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What head lamps are people using.
For the last 10+ years I have been using led lenser headlamps, good lamps but only get about two years out of one, before it has some sort of issues, I thought I would try a different brand, ended up getting one from the black diamond range, wicked light but cant get anywhere near my sdc without it interfering, havent tried the gpx.

Peko said:
For the last 10+ years I have been using led lenser headlamps, good lamps but only get about two years out of one, before it has some sort of issues, I thought I would try a different brand, ended up getting one from the black diamond range, wicked light but cant get anywhere near my sdc without it interfering, havent tried the gpx.

I don't know what the answer is. We have Led Lenser lamps as well and the later and better they are the more they affect the detector. The most powerful one has the flat rechargeable battery that is a real problem because it gives no warning before it drops dead. They are not too bad until you bend down to sort the dirt. I walked through Bunnings as spotted Arlec LED headlamps in a bin for $4.50 including batteries so I grabbed a couple but I haven't tried them yet. They just ride in the back of each quad for that time when a headlamp is needed :)

I just bought one of these Miners Lamps, Build quality is awesome, It has a Blueish light and a tight pencil beam and it shines a long way with High and Low Beam and the Battery life is meant to be about 18 hours and it come with a 240v Docking Station / Charger, My Dad us to have one of the proper miners lamps with hi and low beam bulbs, But this thing is really light weight,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0793MM15G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moneybox said:
Peko said:

I don't know what the answer is. We have Led Lenser lamps as well and the later and better they are the more they affect the detector. The most powerful one has the flat rechargeable battery that is a real problem because it gives no warning before it drops dead. They are not too bad until you bend down to sort the dirt. I walked through Bunnings as spotted Arlec LED headlamps in a bin for $4.50 including batteries so I grabbed a couple but I haven't tried them yet. They just ride in the back of each quad for that time when a headlamp is needed :)

My mate has a energiser headlamp which he got from the supermarket and has had it for years and punches out pretty good light for what it is and not had any issues with it at all.

I am leaning towards a new H8R from led lenser, since they have a good burn time of 10 hours on flat biccie, but after reading your reply about the newer ones interfering more than the older ones I am having second thoughts.

Ridge Runner said:
I just bought one of these Miners Lamps, Build quality is awesome, It has a Blueish light and a tight pencil beam and it shines a long way with High and Low Beam and the Battery life is meant to be about 18 hours and it come with a 240v Docking Station / Charger, My Dad us to have one of the proper miners lamps with hi and low beam bulbs, But this thing is really light weight,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0793MM15G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish I knew about these last year when I was on holidays over there, I would have grabbed one

On eBay, you won't be disappointed.
1581543431_20200213_073520_compress70.jpg

Peko said:
Ridge Runner said:

I wish I knew about these last year when I was on holidays over there, I would have grabbed one

It is the closest thing you can get to the Original Miners lamps and It keeps a tight Spot well beyond 200 meters, I can't test it further than that where I live, the Cable on it is thick Very flexible Rubber none of that stiff plastic rubbish, I might order a few more in the near future, So if you want one you better let me know and I will order and extra one, But you will have to make a head strap for it OR use a Hardhat with the Miners Bracket on it which can be bought for a couple of bucks on line as a complete setup,

Next week I am going to a big Camping EXPO and I will be trying out this new Van and the Camper Conversion I bought so I am going to be away for a few days but I will be ordering them in about a weeks time,

J.

Gday all

I use the black diamond Icon, been using them for years, on my second right now. Not totally perfect but the best I have seen and used. Gets a flogging and still going strong.
As for interference- only if I get it super close to the detector, a Zed. I have no problem with standard operations while using the light.
1581545470_99a4501f-0f0e-4025-880b-fd2717b5eeb8.jpg

I tried many different headlamps for detecting.They either didn't have enough light spread or battery power was short.
Bought one of these about 4 years ago and still going strong with the same batteries.
Will last about 4 hours on high beam and at least 6hrs on low beam and with a 2mtr cercumfrence spot of light on the ground.Its been used in rain as well lots of times.
It takes 2x 18650 batteries and comes with a usb charger.
1581547816_screenshot_20200213-084446_ebay_copy_1024x2105.jpg

Would get another in a heart beat

I've been using Wolf Eyes both headlamp and torch for 14 years. Both are Li-oN 3.6 rechargeable, both still going strong. Not the cheapest but for me reliable. :)

Ridge Runner said:
Peko said:
Ridge Runner said:

It is the closest thing you can get to the Original Miners lamps and It keeps a tight Spot well beyond 200 meters, I can't test it further than that where I live, the Cable on it is thick Very flexible Rubber none of that stiff plastic rubbish, I might order a few more in the near future, So if you want one you better let me know and I will order and extra one, But you will have to make a head strap for it OR use a Hardhat with the Miners Bracket on it which can be bought for a couple of bucks on line as a complete setup,

Next week I am going to a big Camping EXPO and I will be trying out this new Van and the Camper Conversion I bought so I am going to be away for a few days but I will be ordering them in about a weeks time,

J.

I had a quick look on eBay and found This, looks identical

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Miner-L...552744?hash=item2ad153be28:g:qKUAAOSwKwpbApQi

Thanks for the offer mate, greatly appreciated, looks like I have a bit of home work to do with all of the replies so far

Cheers

We have all sorts of 'good gear' here at home, but found the easiest was just to buy some headlamps from Cheap as Chips for $3.50 ea

They are a LED strip that runs on 3x AA's for like 40hours, Hi and Low, and some flash too, but it has to be like a flat LED ribbon strip in front
We carry a few each time we night detect, easy to use, good light and economical with rechargeable batteries.

Some stick on velcro and it is attached to the housing of the Detector to light up the coil area too.

I could use NV if I wanted too but that would be too stealth. :cool:

Having some spare led strips from headlamps I want to experiment with inserting one into an ACE 250 behind the screen.......
Why not? LOL

With kids I love cheap, they throw the torches into campfires forgetting the wood or stick is in the other hand :8

:)

Peko said:
Ridge Runner said:
Peko said:
Ridge Runner said:

J.

I had a quick look on eBay and found This, looks identical

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Miner-L...552744?hash=item2ad153be28:g:qKUAAOSwKwpbApQi

Thanks for the offer mate, greatly appreciated, looks like I have a bit of home work to do with all of the replies so far

Cheers

Well that's pretty close to it, The Charger / Docking station looks almost the same, That one has 3 tiny LED's for the low beam where mine has 6 but that doesn't mean a thing, I think that one will do the job, :Y:

Latest posts