Hand sucker / Crevice Tool Tutorial

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slowflow said:
Meet a good bloke at Safola who had used an expanding pressure bung as the piston. The type used to pressure test pvc pipe installations. His pump had heaps of suction. Don't know about longevity as it was a new mod to the tone tool.
I've seen something similar used for a piston, I think it was a ball type thingy which you could adjust the suction by tightening a bolt underneath, he got it from bunny's.
:) Mick

The adjustable 'ball thingy' sounds like a pretty decent option ... bung for pressure testing PVC sounds even better maybe :)

Currently gathering a bunch of bits to put together a hand pump with interchangeable suction nozzles -- largest nozzle will be maybe 2cm -- smallest only 2mm at the point! Figured out the latter just this weekend (thinking I want to get into places nobody else has been able to!)

Priority is actually something like (#1) kids (#2) business (#3) sluice mk4 (#4) suction pump ... But will post more info in this forum regarding #3 and #4 as I go along :)

hi,

I'm in the middle of the build of my pump.

Did any one find a good source for the PVC Plumbers TEST PLUG?

The ones I find as very bulky.

I'm looking for 1 1/2 inch (40mm ) size. I'm thinking to use 2 if I can find them small enough.

Regards,
Phantom

Hello all, I used a 50mm orange plug from Bunnies the one with the inward slope and it works perfectly I put a hex screw with a 25mm washer and screwed it up into the base of the pump pipe, going down it lets air rush past and pulling it back up creates lots of suction and it only cost me $1.50.
Cheers all Paul

The pressure test plug is great, I have been using it for a couple of years in my sucker, the best part about these plugs are that they are adjustable, depending on the material you are working, simply screw the adjusting nut to give more or less suction. Any good plumbing store should stock them. I bought mine from Becks Plumbing hardware in Launceston. Best thing to use in my book!!
1399720040_nylonplugs475x325.jpg

Just trim the wing nut, block the botom opening and screw it onto your plunger, easy as.

Latest posts