HADSPEN is there gold ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tassietaurusbull

justin woods
Reaction score
hi I am thinking of heading out to Hadspen this weekend, to try a bit of gold panning has any one tried Hadspen river? or can any one give me any info on the area around there to try gold panning thanks.

I can't say that I have tried panning there mate but I will be keen to know how you go. Good luck and hope you find some colour.

I have panned a bit of colour from the river in Hadspen but just a few specks. I definitely would not bother going again. If you are in Devonport you might check out the river just west of Paloona, alluvial gold was evidently found there. I haven't been there but am curious. Good luck

Yes I am from Devonport, and I'd like to try there my self is that the forth river ? But I'll try hadspen first for a bit of fun, iv tryed doctors rocks a couple of times now but only small specs so far.

Hi taurusjim,

I know of a few people who have been going there regularly. I don't know how they've been doing, but I know they have gone back several times. Quite a few people are doing ok at Doctors Rocks, but that's too far for me. I prefer the northeast, since it's the same distance form Hobart.

Like any place, exactly where you dig can have a big effect on what you find. If you go, please let us know how you went!

Well after a few hours of panning I ended up with about 15 specks about the size of a full stop or smaller . so unless um heading that way again I'll stick to doctors rocks. As I'm from devonport. Unless some one can suggest another place to try ?

Hadspen is just close to Launceston 7mins to panning. There is gold in the gorge as well and people have been panning and sluicing there for a hobby for decades. Happy with just some colour. A sluice used to operate at the boat ramp in Hadspen n the 19thcentury.

It's easier in the summer when the water level is much lower. When the rivers up you cannot get to the best area.

But is is no substitute to a major goldfield like Lisle. It's just a place to get some easy practise for beginners without making a day trip of it.

Hi Redmanti yea the water was high and cold. I took a bit from the boat ramp but got most from the corner to the right of the ramp where the fence runs into the river. I would like to try it again in summer with some one to show me where to try and normally how far out would u go ? Like most I got a pair of waders but the water was just to fast Saturday to go out and try in the river.

Right in the middle of the river where the rocks act as a natural sluice. It captures a lot of material including black sands.

River is way too high in winter.

1gramers have been found there in summer.

Latest posts