Had an idea

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
Hydraulic Riffle clip on extension for the Banker. LOL
Bit fiddly to build but I think it is a terific idea. :eek:
Especially when you have a lot of black sand to cope with. 8)
Any Thoughts any one. :rolleyes:
I have been doing some reading about them.

1416979631_hydraulic_riffles.jpg

This is a basic design i've developed, based on a 250mm wide sluice.

Can be done, will be very time consuming drilling the holes required, materials are not expensive either, most difficuly part i can see is hooking the water up to a fitting of some sort.

If its good enough for Tony. ... I've flirted with the idea but the biggest drawback is blockages I feel, you would have to be very minimal in size and/or good filtration. Hell I have enough issues with spray bars at times. Let us know how you guys go, watching with interest.

Interesting theory but am I missing something??

I thought the idea of riffles are to catch the gold. If there is water being pushed out through them won't that just blow the gold on and out of the sluice?

Please enlighten me :p

hydraulic riffles work by keeping a fluid bed active which prevents clog up from zircons and black sand. They use them in Africa and the klondike where the gold is predominately fine and the particle count is high.

I love the idea always threatening to make a set one day but i know it will take four weeks off my life :)

Thanks GD@, I need to see some in action now to get a look at them so I can understand it better

Thanks for that ramjet, I see that they push the water out the upstream side of the riffle and not the downside where the gold is supposed to drop out. Interesting concept and I hope you guys succeed in your design and build.

Cheers

It is a very interesting concept.
They do state that this leans towards more the production side but I reckon you could build a wider sluice
using a Thornado 1 1/2 pump with out having to worry about huge volume.
LOL, The pain would be drilling and channeling but it would make for a very precise build that you could be proud of.
Me still thinking...

Latest posts