gympie gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, ive only been fossicking 6months or so ... I have a river sluice 6ft . I have been working the local fossicking area to some success but nothing worth shoveling for 6hrs. Mostly find old jewely 1900s and some small colour but they arnt rounded...and a .4gm nugget that was completly black i nilly tost it away.... can anyone help me here where is the gold...i dont mind hard work n sweat makes a cold beer all the better.

Thanx for the encoragment. My horse has a gimp leg wont make it to nanango. I can only go when kids at day care 2 days a week. Time limited . I suposse more door knocking is in order ...hasnt been to succesful in past...would you let a stranger digg around ya farm....is the usual response or if i let you in 50 more will come no thanx.. hahaha . I did research this for a year before putting shovel to dirt. Have old maps mine sites , for gympie...but just need permission. So i keep going back to the fossicking area cleaning up mercury and rubbish left behind from the weekend worriors. I find colour every pan but small .

yobskin said:
Thanx for the encoragment. ..... I suposse more door knocking is in order ...hasnt been to succesful in past...would you let a stranger digg around ya farm....is the usual response or if i let you in 50 more will come no thanx.. hahaha .... .

The trick is to go back to the same farms and say g'day, find out and remember the farmers names and have a chat, remind them who you are and where they know you from take a find or 2 each time to show them, or samples of rocks that are found with gold etc photos of panning /detecting / gold nuggets / gems . In short get to know them , farmers tend to be suspicious of strangers but once you get past that they can be easy to get to know , farming is often a lonely profession and a bit of company to break the day up is welcomed by most. After seeing you a few times you are not a stranger any more and may surprise you with a "well go down that paddock there is plenty of them rocks down there" or "well there is a sand bar like that in the creek past them cows."

They wont let strangers on their farms,most of us would not let one in our back yard, so stop being a stranger (it is ok to be a bit strange)

That is some great advise thank you outboard.
im going to do that down to the T.

I hit an area close to an old mine 1889, while digging found old iron kettle, there are sleepers buried in the creek all the way across...i classified 1x20L bucket and found 15 battered and sharp pces @ .2gm. Nice day for me got the itch again.

Hey mate your doing well if you can get colour in every pan....wish I could get that there would be worth it for me. Small river sluice and it adds up quickly

blayke said:
Hey mate your doing well if you can get colour in every pan....wish I could get that there would be worth it for me. Small river sluice and it adds up quickly

Thanx blayke,
Its hard packed iron stone black sand....hard going. Deep creek fossicking area has had an upgrade with revegatation and a massive boulder with a plarqe in memory of the early prospectors that saved qld. There are on going maintainance schemes thanx to the newman crew.....less snake pitts.
I target hard to get places, build lil dams to create water flow and get real filthy. Im more than happy to share the experience. Everyone is welcome in my book.....just dont like litering.

i head down there on the occasional weekend for the day....would definately be keen yobskin...i also attempt to get to the harder areas but sometimes with the height of that grass im just not game enough even with the knee high rubber boots lol.....keen to bring a whipper snipper down actually

blayke said:
i head down there on the occasional weekend for the day....would definately be keen yobskin...i also attempt to get to the harder areas but sometimes with the height of that grass im just not game enough even with the knee high rubber boots lol.....keen to bring a whipper snipper down actually

You are more than welcome to join me mate. Snakes dont bother me people with dogs of leash do !
Government regenertion crew are contracted to maintain the area now....silly buggers planted trees in a gold bearing gully.
mowing ,rubbish removal and weed control.

I live 1.5km away so i walk kicking stones along the way.

I look foward to catching up blayke.

Well this is my starting few years back....for all you newbies wanting to startout...It is hard going untill you pick up some knowledge but dont hassle the first guy or girl to help you....and dont cling...he or she would have given you enough to go on by to find your own and probably droped a few places for you to hit or research on.....

Good to hear ya back yob, just starting out myself and just acquired a crevice pump from peacekeeper. Very keen to give that a thrashing. I will be moving that way early next year so would be nice to meet some like minded people. Good on ya mate and take care. :Y:

Latest posts