Greetings all.....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

just signed up to this forum today.

I have just had a change in life (finished working overseas for many years) and have decided to include "prospecting" in my future here back home. So I am now embarking on a serious learning curve - please forgive me in advance as I learn the new language that this hobby requires :)

Am a complete "newbie" (God I hate that term) to all this as a future hobby, but I do know a little bit about alluvial gold mining - it is what I have done for the past few years, but working for small scale mechanized operations.

This is just day one for me here, and in time I hope to become a solid member of this online community.

I believe such a forum will be a great source for me as I learn, but once I get some experience I hope to contribute also.

But for now, it is time for me to start reading and reading and reading.......

By the way, I have a thick skin, a very open sense of humour, and I also know what it is to walk for a long way in the bush - so please beat me into shape :)

Thank you all in advance for the opportunity to be part of this online community.

Cheers!

P.S. as soon as I work out this forum/site I will update profile picture, etc - I am a tad slow with things technological.... :)

Hi Juan, welcome to this forum. Just wondering.... you are not the Juan that bought my signal amplifier by any chance? I can't believe the world is such a small place. And by overseas, you don't mean Africa? you know, the place where they ousted the despot?....

Graybeard said:
Hi Juan, welcome to this forum. Just wondering.... you are not the Juan that bought my signal amplifier by any chance? I can't believe the world is such a small place. And by overseas, you don't mean Africa? you know, the place where they ousted the despot?....

Graybeard, no! I still do not know what a "signal amplifier" is!!! :)

Have been to Africa visiting but never mined there - I am fresh out of Colombia.

Oh... beg your pardon. Wrong guy. the signal amplifier is just an inline amplifier for the audio. A brother for the "rooster booster". It did nothing to increase my chance of finding gold if anything it produced a high pitched hum that was rather irritating. That hum stopped when I sold the damned thing, the cables kept getting in the way and I kept on forgetting to turn the unit off. I actually found a nugget without it's help few days ago.
Anyway welcome to the forum, Australia is a good place to find gold and I hope you do well. The blokes here are fantastic (an gals) I'm sure they will answer your questions.....alex

As an extra bit of personal info, I am in the Gympie area so hugely look forward to communicating with "local" enthusiasts. I enjoy a beer or rum (but not that horrid Bundy stuff that is prevalent in Australia :) ) I smoke half the year, and am passionate about gold. (Have also mined alluvial platinum)

Hi Juan,
Welcome to the forum. You're on the right track so far - registering on this forum is a great start. Lots of reading is also a good way to pick up extra bits of info. There's also a pretty good range of DVD's out there that I have found helpful. Have you purchased a detector yet?

By the way, your comment about smoking half of the year has me stumped. Am I missing something?
I gave up about 15 years ago. Used to go through a full pack of Drum in two days.

juan said:
As an extra bit of personal info, I am in the Gympie area so hugely look forward to communicating with "local" enthusiasts. I enjoy a beer or rum (but not that horrid Bundy stuff that is prevalent in Australia :) ) I smoke half the year, and am passionate about gold. (Have also mined alluvial platinum)
Howdy mate and wel ome to the site .
I come from the Boreen Piont area so only 1/2 hour down the road .
Dont mind a beer or two and will work a time with you in the new year when all the tourists gone home :)

Welcome to the forum Juan. Have a great time reading all the posts. Ask plenty of questions. We are a friendly mob on here. :) :) :) :)

Latest posts