Graytown

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone explain why the diggings around Graytown have the spoil (mullock) mounded quite high along one side next to the hole and everywhere else I go in Vic. the diggings are different to them. In the way that the spoil isn't mounded like that in most places. And was there a large river system running through the Graytown area thousands of yrs ago. Because I wonder how on earth did anyone think of prospecting in that unforgiving thick scrub covered in march flies and snakes, with little water 160yrs ago. Like lots of areas in Vic. at the time I suppose. The Graytown cemetery is a testament to how difficult it must of been. I think Antimony was mined around there too.

Can someone explain why the diggings around Graytown have the spoil (mullock) mounded quite high along one side next to the hole and everywhere else I go in Vic. the diggings are different to them. In the way that the spoil isn't mounded like that in most places. And was there a large river system running through the Graytown area thousands of yrs ago. Because I wonder how on earth did anyone think of prospecting in that unforgiving thick scrub covered in march flies and snakes, with little water 160yrs ago. Like lots of areas in Vic. at the time I suppose. The Graytown cemetery is a testament to how difficult it must of been. I think Antimony was mined around there too.
Oh, and the Redcastle area nearby is very similar.

Latest posts