Granns Home Remedies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title says tell us about your old Nanna's, or Pa's the family remedies.
One that I remember vividly was bluebag laundry bleach that nanna but on my first ever bee sting. I was about 4 or 5 at the time. and had gone up to the neibour's place about five doors up. I remember the pain being like a hammer blow and must have yelled so loud that nan came around the corner sporting a straw broom ready to do battle with the stray dog that she thought was attacking me. :8
Another very useful bush remedy for bullant and jackjumper ant stings is the sap from the common bracken fern.

Ok anyone else ?? :D

Hiccup cure, and this one works.
Take a mouthful of a drink, any drink, and don't swallow it.
Now block your nose and ears at the same time, then swallow the drink.
Hiccups.....goooone!

I remember the Blue Bag treatment well. I once saw an episode of Bill Peachs This Day Tonight - which was the 70s version of the ABC 7:30 report - that featured a crusty old bloke who was one of the last bullockys still dragging logs out of the rain forest somewhere on the North coast of MSW.

In any case, I well remember his remedy for anything that ailed him - a tablespoon of kerosene and sugar!

While I reckon that remedy was calculated to get you up out of your sick bed before there was any chance of a second dose, it did not seem to have done the old bullocky any harm!

jethro said:
As the title says tell us about your old Nanna's, or Pa's the family remedies.
One that I remember vividly was bluebag laundry bleach that nanna but on my first ever bee sting. I was about 4 or 5 at the time. and had gone up to the neibour's place about five doors up. I remember the pain being like a hammer blow and must have yelled so loud that nan came around the corner sporting a straw broom ready to do battle with the stray dog that she thought was attacking me. :8
Another very useful bush remedy for bullant and jackjumper ant stings is the sap from the common bracken fern.

Ok anyone else ?? :D

When we used to get bigger cuts Mum and Dad would get us to grab some cobwebs to cover it, like a bandage, worked great.

For boils/sores on the body we used a weed/plant (kopakopa = copper copper) which would go on the boils/sores and draw out all of the nastiness...
The English name for the weed/plant is Plantain which is found in most Gardens around the world.

For the common flu we used to go and get some Flax which grew on the roadside not far from home, mum used to boil it and you would drink it.

There's three for you... :) :Y:

winter colds and chesty type stuff , peel and slice a couple of medium onions put them in a pan with just a bit of water (enough to just boil them in ) add a bit of salt and pepper to taste ,boil the onions until just clear then eat the lot onions and water as hot as you can stand it then off to bed well wrapped up and sweat it out .
john

Davent - I have just sat here on my couch blocking both ears and nose at the same time. I have never, ever done that and I'm sure I looked like right gitt doing it. Go on everyone, give it a go :D

Apple cider vinegar - finding that it's pretty useful for simple wound infections.

Metho - great stuff for cleaning up wounds and stopping them getting infected. I'm not sure I could handle a cloth soaked in it wrapped around me neck though Smokey :eek:

Good old hemorrhoid cream or bum cream as it is known in our house. Proctocedel is the preferred brand. It has an anaesthetic and steroid cream in it. Mozzie bites, midgee bites, pimples, itchy things, hemorrhoids (obviously). Put some bum cream on it and hey presto the pain/itchiness and inflammation is gone ;)

How about dettol and a wire brush for skin irritations?

Common treatment back in the 'ole days' so I hear.

davent said:
Hiccup cure, and this one works.
Take a mouthful of a drink, any drink, and don't swallow it.
Now block your nose and ears at the same time, then swallow the drink.
Hiccups.....goooone!
1.A shot of raspberry cordial (no water) will cure hiccups every time.
2.I fell and split my chin one night drunk and it wouldn't stop bleeding,housemate put some pepper on the wound and it stopped bleeding pretty quickly.I guess the fine pepper mixes with the blood and helps it clot.
3.When stung by a spike on a Flathead,which by the way hurts like hell and will throb for hours,just rub some of the slime off the back of the fish on the wound and instant relief.

If you have a child with croop, dice an onion up finely, sprinkle with sugar and leave for a while on a slight slope to collect juice.
Drink the juice, croop gone.

Vicks on the soles of your feet as well as on the chest before going to bed.

ICAN never remember my grandfather having a cold, he always carried a handkerchief with a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil on it and also placed it in his pillowcase at night. Eucalyptus always reminds me of him.

Does anyone remember a product called Bates of Salve, it was a stick around 1/2 in square and about 3 inches long, worked as a poultice. We used to open a bandaid, melt a drop or two of the Salve on to it and place it over the wound or the festered splinter etc and in two days or so all good, the worst bit was applying it when it was still too hot.

As a kid dad insisted on metho on my cuts & grazes ..... FARK..... it stung.
The Blue Bottle on bee stings I remember too Jethro :)
Magnoplasm to draw out splinters.
Mum got a tablespoon of castor oil into me once ..... can't remember what for ....... but she said she could never catch me after the first dose.
Vicks vapour rub & a hot water bottle on the chest in bed at night for a cold.

Rob.

Latest posts