GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the great posts!....I have read them all and have "borrowed" a few settings to try!
Fairly new to prospecting, took it up 9 months ago after moving to a gold area....Took me 8 months to get my first small bit...the second was a lot quicker :)
Decided to invest in the Zed after much research and much chatting with people...A mate has one and hasnt used his 5000 since he got the 7000.
I am now set up with the B&Z Booster with dual speakers...and JP's googled audio settings.....First day out tomorrow.
Anyway, the main reason for posting is just to say that the upgrade was no issues with Linux. The Minelab is a plug in, identified device. Handy :)
Thanks all for the awesome tips so far....I think they will help immensely!

Kingswood, --- 'and JP's googled audio settings' --- you will find that settings that somebody uses will suit certain areas. They will not work in other areas. Not meaning to be negative as we all try others settings and sometimes will depend on the machine as one machine will vary to another. The best you can do to learn your machine is to waste a few hours and play with your machine and try different settings and modes. That way you will also learn how to make most of your machine and what ground you can detect in different settings. For anybody who purchases a new machine there is always a learning curve. Hope you find a memorable nugget. TG

travelergold said:
The best you can do to learn your machine is to waste a few hours and play with your machine and try different settings and modes. That way you will also learn how to make most of your machine and what ground you can detect in different settings. For anybody who purchases a new machine there is always a learning curve.TG
Great advice :)
Spent 4 hours out with the Zed today....discovered that "normal" ground mode was painful on all gold modes......even with the sensitivity dropped to 3. Just to much noise! Found that General/difficult was quite stable. Was using "Locate patch" smoothing....tomorrows plan is to turn that off and see what happens!
I would love to use normal, but think I would struggle to discern a target from the myriad of noise!
Totally agree that what works for one in one area may not work for another in another area.

1508039796_22497346_10155625886741259_709548551_n.jpg

3 hours out.
High Yield/difficult. Sensitivity 6. Volume 6. Volume limit 3. Locate Patch smoothing on. B&Z booster at 2. Threshold 27. GB on auto and did the ferrite GB...which I then dropped and it split in half!!!
Tried General/difficult over each of them when they were in the ground, only signalled well on the larger bit (0.9g) and gave a half hearted iffy response on the specimen.
Did have some issues: After about an hour of detecting, the machine started warbling all over the place. Did a power off and then auto tune. It quietened down for about 10 minutes, then started to be unstable again. Another auto tune then good for 20 minutes or so...Any ideas why?? :(
Quite like the 7000!!

1508050826_22497494_10155626040436259_2067917164_n.jpg

Not a bad return after smashing up the spec :)
Thinking more about the noises...I did a couple of auto tunes which worked for a little bit...Maybe I should have done a complete reset??....I wonder if it was EMI or was actually the day heating up??...Was 32 by 10am...
The other thing I also noticed, was that the lower shaft twists!....Looked down at one point and the coil had angled a bit!...I can gently twist mine...is that "normal"?...Not a real issues I guess, can always just turn it back to its original position!

1508050826_22497494_10155626040436259_2067917164_n.jpg

Thinking more about the noises...I did a couple of auto tunes which worked for a little bit...Maybe I should have done a complete reset??....I wonder if it was EMI or was actually the day heating up??...Was 32 by 10am...
The other thing I also noticed, was that the lower shaft twists!....Looked down at one point and the coil had angles a bit!...I can gently twist mine...is that "normal"?...Not a real issues I guess, can always just turn it back to its original position!

***Sorry guys..duplicate post and I cant work out how to delete it!!

kingswood said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...96_22497346_10155625886741259_709548551_n.jpg
3 hours out.
High Yield/difficult. Sensitivity 6. Volume 6. Volume limit 3. Locate Patch smoothing on. B&Z booster at 2. Threshold 27. GB on auto and did the ferrite GB...which I then dropped and it split in half!!!
Tried General/difficult over each of them when they were in the ground, only signalled well on the larger bit (0.9g) and gave a half hearted iffy response on the specimen.
Did have some issues: After about an hour of detecting, the machine started warbling all over the place. Did a power off and then auto tune. It quietened down for about 10 minutes, then started to be unstable again. Another auto tune then good for 20 minutes or so...Any ideas why?? :(
Quite like the 7000!!

I have had that, it is most probably EMI. Only location can give you an idea of that.

I agree...out of all the settings, High Yield/ Difficult seems to better setting in most cases. As explained by others like JP.

I like the 7000 too... its like a few machines in one.

kingswood said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...96_22497346_10155625886741259_709548551_n.jpg
3 hours out.
Quite like the 7000!!

I have had that, it is most probably EMI. Only location can give you an idea of that.

I agree...out of all the settings, High Yield/ Difficult seems to better setting in most cases. As explained by others like JP.

I like the 7000 too... its like a few machines in one.

kingswood said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6_22497494_10155626040436259_2067917164_n.jpg
The other thing I also noticed, was that the lower shaft twists!....Looked down at one point and the coil had angles a bit!...I can gently twist mine...is that "normal"?...Not a real issues I guess, can always just turn it back to its original position!

***Sorry guys..duplicate post and I cant work out how to delete it!!

Mine can turn as well, depends on if it collapsed or extended as well. In between no so much. It is good to get the angle of the coil nice and flat.

Thank you :) Its not a dramatic twist, so I can live with it.
After today, I think the HY/Difficult is awesome ha ha :)
As for it posting twice...did the same thing to me!!

I like to go High Yield/ Difficult if I can't run Normal ground, then I go back over the same area with General/Difficult or Normal.

That way I feel like I have covered both shallow, deeper and various types of nuggets.

And agreed, twist is not dramatic. I find it useful when putting ZED in boot as I can lay unit down and keep coil flat at the same time.

Not sure if its Edge or the site bugging out, but whenever I post I get this. If I try to refresh it just repeats my post. lol

1508055503_capture.jpg

My shaft does it from day one i got some tape and built the iner shaft up where clicks on by memory one revolution was enough ,and my chuck a wobbly like u said so i pick worse emi spot and waited until a plane went back over then done emi then ferrite balance high yield, difficult, patch ,grd smth low ,sen 8 cant remember the rest get back 2 u Flatlander

My shaft does it from day one i got some tape and built the iner shaft up where clicks on by memory one revolution was enough ,and my chuck a wobbly like u said so i pick worse emi spot and waited until a plane went back over then done emi then ferrite balance high yield, difficult, patch ,grd smth low ,sen 8 cant remember the rest get back 2 u Flatlander

Latest posts