Got the Girl Dialled in Now

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5415

Phil
Reaction score
Hi All,

Got out over the weekend for my third time with the new 5000 and as you all know setting up the beast for the conditions is critical, well with some help form a few on the forum and reviewing a lot of posts on here on the subject, I'm thinking 3rd time's a charm right? :)

After only getting rubbish on for a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon, I settled in for an early night, over dinner I reviewed the maps and determined I was probably a little high up on the slope and decided to relocate for a hard at it session on Sunday. :)

I wake early, as usual, still dark but bright eyed and bushy tailed I bounce out and throw breakfast down, pack the gear and I'm gone.

15 mins later I'm on the spot picked and setting up, I do a quick look around and decide to work east across the workings on the gentle slope. :)

Then comes the grind, 3 hours of horse shoe nails, ring pulls, AA batteries and the mandatory .22 lead and bird shot and not much digging. :|

Just as I'm about to have smoko and review my cunning plan I spot a smallish clear area between a surfaced area and a series of test holes running west to east, looked un-worked except a few scratchings, which I promptly filled in as I went. :(

After working the area for 20 mins or so and just about to give it up for a sanga and cuppa, I get the faintest of signals, just a faint beep, smallish target, so I GB and confirm it's another target. :) Then proceed to go in to chook mode, scraping off the surface, target still there, :) remove the top soil, target still there :) GB again and re-check, target still there and no signal in the spoil.

I remove about 4 inches of clay and check the target again, louder target signal and no signal in the spoil. :)

Continue digging and another 2 inches and I strike rounded quartz and iron stone, all pretty big, sparks are flying off the pick and now it's getting to be hard work :| and I'm getting deep and the target signal is getting louder. :)

At this stage I'm thinking I better take some pictures to document things.

1440981111_gold_005.jpg

By this stage the signal is going in to overload! :) and I've run out of room to swing the pick, bugger and off comes the beenie!

1440981449_gold_006.jpg

So I lengthen the excavation.

1440981513_gold_007.jpg

An dig down another inch or so, and there it is :( Not the 50-60 grams of gold I was picturing.

1440981840_gold_012.jpg

But 50-60 grams of lead :eek:

1440981950_gold_014.jpg

At this point I laughed so loud I thought the wagon would show up to take me away! :lol:
So I took 5 mins to catch my breath, get over the disappointment, smiled to myself and thought "you know what, that lead flashing has been there a fair while in well worked ground and I found it, no one else" :lol:

then fixed what I had made. :)

1440982215_gold_013.jpg

I'm of the same opinion in regards to digging targets like that. If somebody else had have heard it, they would have dug it. Those areas warrant more attention IMO. hopefully the next one is the right colour. That would be a nice nugget.

Oh that would have hurt....even looked like gold coming out of the hole and would have been a screamer!!!

Good tale Filthy, i was digging it with you there mate, in spirit at least. Remember 'if you swing it they will come', eventually anyway. :lol: keep going mate.

Been there done that many, many times over.
You have to dig all.
Could easy have been doing the happy dance. :lol:

Redfin said:
Been there done that many, many times over.
You have to dig all.
Could easy have been doing the happy dance. :lol:

Thought it was happy dance time, got me beat how the lead got there, not sure the old timers would have used flashing?

SCROUNGER said:
Good tale Filthy, i was digging it with you there mate, in spirit at least. Remember 'if you swing it they will come', eventually anyway. :lol: keep going mate.
Yeah, that's the plan, could have used your help mate :lol:

Twapster said:
Oh that would have hurt....even looked like gold coming out of the hole and would have been a screamer!!!

Yeah mate, had it pegged as a good size nugget, 5000 was going nuts and so was my guts in that split second I felt the weight and knew it wasn't quartz or ironstone, but it was only a split second :rolleyes:

NeoGeo said:
I'm of the same opinion in regards to digging targets like that. If somebody else had have heard it, they would have dug it. Those areas warrant more attention IMO. hopefully the next one is the right colour. That would be a nice nugget.

I reckon everyone would have dug it, who could tell the difference, I know I couldn't, not that I know what a nugget of that size at that depth would sound like? ;)

I would have dug it for sure to Filthy, I have dug targets like it b4. It gets the adrenaline goin when ya pull out something nugget shaped no matter what it's made of. Better luck next time mate, but if your finding stuff like that, there must be something good waiting for you. :)

You just never know, though. If there is junk still undug and there are signals left.
I recently dug up quite a few .22 calibre bullets and shells, and later in the day a target that sounded exactly like them was a beautiful little 3g slug.

Latest posts