Got a picker in my pan and a shrimp in my shoe -- yeehaaw!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveggs

David
Reaction score
OK ...

So there I was near Oallen Ford, finishing a test pan I had dug from a likely looking spot.
The usual material was reducing quite nicely ... then my heart skipped a beat!
That unmistakeable yellow glint shone out of my pan, saying "HI!"

I must have gasped or something, because kleinman98 looked up from his pan (to see if I had just injured myself :))
bazza2210 didn't hear me, as he was further away sucking his little pickers out of a pocket he'd found.
He did post a pic of his pickers --> https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=66180

Staring back at me from the pan was the biggest picker I had ever found (all by myself anyway)
(I have got more fingers on my hands, than pickers in my collection)
Not huge by any standards -- but my biggest picker yet!

Anyway, after explaining to kleinman98 that I was actually OK (and showing him briefly what my picker looked like), I proceeded with panning off the excess material ... Then a strange sensation tried to distract me, as I felt a rapid vibration in my shoe! My feet were in the water as I continued, determined not to lose focus at this moment ... Again & again I felt something wiggling and tickling in my shoe ... Was it a little fish maybe? :/ -- or a leech even!? :eek: ...

Of all the possible times to get a critter caught in my shoe, I thought -- crikey blimey strewth mate -- WHY NOW!? 8)

Finally managed to get my pan down to a reasonable concentrate, where I could clearly see the nice picker and a bunch of other finer gold glinting back at me ... Satisfied with my effort there, I decided to check on the intruder and took off my shoe ...

There it was -- swimming in the tiny puddle left in my shoe -- a 1 inch, fresh water shrimp! :p

I laughed as the thought crossed my mind ...
"I've got a picker in my pan -- and a shrimp in my shoe!" ... (Yeehaaw! seems to follow automatically)

Cheers,
Dave :cool:

1395745440_optimized-gold_oallen_20-mar-2014.jpg

daveggs said:
OK ...

So there I was near Oallen Ford, finishing a test pan I had dug from a likely looking spot.
The usual material was reducing quite nicely ... then my heart skipped a beat!
That unmistakeable yellow glint shone out of my pan, saying "HI!"

I must have gasped or something, because kleinman98 looked up from his pan (to see if I had just injured myself :))
bazza2210 didn't hear me, as he was further away sucking his little pickers out of a pocket he'd found.
He did post a pic of his pickers --> https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=66180

Staring back at me from the pan was the biggest picker I had ever found (all by myself anyway)
(I have got more fingers on my hands, than pickers in my collection)
Not huge by any standards -- but my biggest picker yet!

Anyway, after explaining to kleinman98 that I was actually OK (and showing him briefly what my picker looked like), I proceeded with panning off the excess material ... Then a strange sensation tried to distract me, as I felt a rapid vibration in my shoe! My feet were in the water as I continued, determined not to lose focus at this moment ... Again & again I felt something wiggling and tickling in my shoe ... Was it a little fish maybe? :/ -- or a leech even!? :eek: ...

Of all the possible times to get a critter caught in my shoe, I thought -- crikey blimey strewth mate -- WHY NOW!? 8)

Finally managed to get my pan down to a reasonable concentrate, where I could clearly see the nice picker and a bunch of other finer gold glinting back at me ... Satisfied with my effort there, I decided to check on the intruder and took off my shoe ...

There it was -- swimming in the tiny puddle left in my shoe -- a 1 inch, fresh water shrimp! :p

I laughed as the thought crossed my mind ...
"I've got a picker in my pan -- and a shrimp in my shoe!" ... (Yeehaaw! seems to follow automatically)

Cheers,
Dave :cool:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5745440_optimized-gold_oallen_20-mar-2014.jpg

I can see why you guys keep going back. Gold does give you that fuzzy feeling affect. Nice work.

Well done there Dave, and pickers are not that easy to bring to light at or near the Forde. Good luck on the next trip out that way mate.

Cheers Wal

Great work
Yet to find a picker up there my Dad has (cactus)
Did you reset your foot to catch some more bait lol :D

Good on ya , Dave ! I don't reckon there are too many people can claim that one from you ... A once in a lifetime event ....
Steve .
P.S. I'm getting jealous of all you " Time rich " fossickers ..... maybe I need to do a reset on my life ?!

Latest posts