Good all round detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfau said:
RottenRon said:
For what it's worth, I agree with Wolfau.
I have a 705, but admittedly, haven't found any gold with it yet
It works a treat at the beach with the 15" Coiltek coil.
The discrimination works well, although I search in all metal mode, and just read the numbers on a target.
That seems to get extra depth and lessens the chance of missing a faint target.
My next detector is Garrett ATX. Should be here mid Feb. and I can't wait.
You might find some of the posts in this thread https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3134&p=2 interesting reading.
Good luck with whatever you buy anyway.
Cheers, Ron.

Thank you and well done on your purchase.

Want my tip without offending anyone? Connect
the large coil to your ATX and use that where miners
holes are about a foot deep.

Leave the fly specks for the well off city folk..

Sounds like a plan to me Wolf. Just can't wait till my ATX gets here. I hired one for a week over Christmas and was mighty impressed.

Cheers.

RottenRon said:
Wolfau said:
RottenRon said:
For what it's worth, I agree with Wolfau.
I have a 705, but admittedly, haven't found any gold with it yet
It works a treat at the beach with the 15" Coiltek coil.
The discrimination works well, although I search in all metal mode, and just read the numbers on a target.
That seems to get extra depth and lessens the chance of missing a faint target.
My next detector is Garrett ATX. Should be here mid Feb. and I can't wait.
You might find some of the posts in this thread https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3134&p=2 interesting reading.
Good luck with whatever you buy anyway.
Cheers, Ron.

Thank you and well done on your purchase.

Want my tip without offending anyone? Connect
the large coil to your ATX and use that where miners
holes are about a foot deep.

Leave the fly specks for the well off city folk..

Sounds like a plan to me Wolf. Just can't wait till my ATX gets here. I hired one for a week over Christmas and was mighty impressed.

Cheers.

Pls keep me updated even via Private Messaging :cool:

Took the detector for a spin today after i got everything set up, and roughly figured out what button does what. Ended up with just over $20 in coins, and a few pennys, so pretty happy with that result. Got home and realised that I had left the skid plate on the coil.....oops.

Flossie said:
Took the detector for a spin today after i got everything set up, and roughly figured out what button does what. Ended up with just over $20 in coins, and a few pennys, so pretty happy with that result. Got home and realised that I had left the skid plate on the coil.....oops.

Awesome. Your on a good start.

10 more of those trips and you could reap another $150 or more.
Just be careful. If your not finding pull tabs then you could be missing finding the rings as well because
they more or less fall in the same id range. So if you discriminate out the pull tabs you could discriminate the rings.

Hey Flossie,

Just wondering which coil/s you got with the 705.
Well done on finding pre dec coins. Its on my bucket list.
Out of curiosity where did you go to get the old coins. ie beach, park old building etc?

Cheers

Flossie said:

Well done, what's wrong with leaving the skid plate on, it's there to protect it when detecting? :)

Is it? I thought it was to protect the coil when it was in storage/when not being used. So leaving it on wont affect the coil sending or receiving a signal?
I wasn't discriminating anything out wolfrau, i had it set on all metal mode with no discrimination. Surprisingly the only junk targets i got was 1 bottle cap.
Shane im using the standard 7.5 khz coil that the detector comes with, and it was at local park that i found the pre decs.

Flossie said:
Is it? I thought it was to protect the coil when it was in storage/when not being used. So leaving it on wont affect the coil sending or receiving a signal?
I wasn't discriminating anything out wolfrau, i had it set on all metal mode with no discrimination. Surprisingly the only junk targets i got was 1 bottle cap.
Shane im using the standard 7.5 khz coil that the detector comes with, and it was at local park that i found the pre decs.

Well done Flossie. I nearly always use my 705 in all metal mode. I do ok with the 15" Coiltek 7.5 khs coil. Great depth down the beach. The eliptical 10x5 18khs DD coil they tell me is the bomb for this detector on gold, I just haven't walked over any yet,,,,,,,,,, or have I???

The only time the skid plate becomes a problem is when you get crap stuck between it and the coil. Check it from time to time, especially in heavily mineralised soil.

By the way, I'm jealous. 1 lousy bottle cap. Fair dinkum, I must be detecting parks built on rubbish tips. Seems that way sometimes anyway.

Good luck. Cheers, Ron.

Counting down to ATX day.

As mentioned, the skid plates are used to protect the coil during detecting, for such a thin piece of plastic, I really don't think it will affect the sensitivity of the detector. All my detectors are run with skid plates. Last thing I want to do is having to go out and buy new coils all the time. :)

Got a phone call this arvo.
THE ATX HAS ARRIVED.
Now pay my bickies, and get it sent down here.

$3,700 for the Deepseeker Package.
Includes:
ATX with 12" DD coil
Land headphones
Soft storage/travel case
Garrett Detector Sling
AA alkaline and rechargeable batteries
Battery charger
PLUS
20" Deepseeker Mono Searchcoil
Military-grade Garrett hard case
Free postage to my door.

Weekend after next, I should be right amongst it,,,,,,, The gold with any luck.

Cheers, Ron

Oh yeah, speaking of skid plates, can't get them for the ATX yet, so what tape is everyone using. Any recommendations?

the park i was detecting is a newish park that was build over an older one, and is located within walking distance of the beach. Its a park thats located in the suburbs and only see's local traffic. As perth has many other "better" and more well known beaches/parks.
As for it not being junky, i think the fact that it doesnt really get many visitors contributes to the lack of junk, and any visitors that do go are quite environmentally conscious and throw everything in the bins. I Went and detected the
beach that is opposite this park and got quite a few good signals, but they were too deep for me to get to with my crappy hand spade..

Ron, i have heard the same thing about the elliptical coils, and i plan on getting one just before i move to Kal for the year.
Good luck with your detector

Some of the guys on the other forums use a spray can of rubberised undercoating with some good success, just need to tape off most of the coil and only spray the parts that come into contact with the ground.

Goldpick said:
Some of the guys on the other forums use a spray can of rubberised undercoating with some good success, just need to tape off most of the coil and only spray the parts that come into contact with the ground.

Now there's a thought. Spray or paint on rubber. No crap in between it and the coil. Gunna look into that. There's a product called Duram 195. Used to be used to waterproof rainwater tanks, leaks in roofing iron etc. It would bridge a 2 mm gap, so should be thick enough and easy enough to re-coat when needed, plus, it sticks like shit to a blanket.
Thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Ron.

Hi All,
I know this is a question thats been asked on many occasions but hoping everyone is kind enough to offer up some advice, especially if some new machines have come out recently.

I would ideally like a dual purpose machine like the minelab 705 so if the opportunity arises to hunt gold i can. However, it is definitely at the upper limit of what i would like to spend. Is there any machines that have the possibility to detect small nuggets whilst being a lot better at metal and coins. I would be happy to look at both new and 2nd hand machines. I live in Lake Macquarie, NSW, so a waterproof (salt) machine would also be an advantage but not at all essential.

If anyone can please help me navigate the mine field it would be greatly appreciated.

so far ive seen some of the following for sale in my price range:
Garrett GTI 1500 (2nd hand)
Ace 250
Xterra 305/505 (New)
White PI 2000 (2nd hand)
Teknetics (New)
Bounty Hunter 3300 (New)

Maybe someone may be selling something as well

Thanks in advance. :D

While you have a nice list, I can say the Ace 250 is more a coin shooter than a gold finder. I have tested it out and while it does find gold nuggets. On my tests anything to tiny or deep doesn't register. The ace works best sweeping parks and beaches from my experience. There are some others who have opinions about it to on the Garrett sub forum if you want to read it.

Hi all, I have been interested in detecting for some time, how ever it is only now that I decided to do it. I work in various mines in Western Australia but I reside in Bendigo Vic. Bendigo is where I will most likely spend most of my time and having 15 days off there a month will cover the areas of ballarat, marybourgha, Maldon etc etc. With the opportunity to delay my times in wa I will also be able to make my way around kalgoorlie, Leonora, sandstone and the likes. I would appreciate any opinions or information on equipment or research that may give me an understanding on a suitable detector for a budget of $1000-2000. This budget may become higher depending on the time I research what will suit me best. A brief description on coils etc for different things eg what suits gold, relics coins etc would also be very helpful. I have also been looking at different tours, educational days and clubs around the Bendigo on which I would like to participate so any knowledge on these would also be great. Cheers josh

My advice buy a proven gold finding pi detector.

If you look hard enough and know how to bargain look for

A Minelab GP series detector. You can pick one up for about

$1800 and generally come with coils.

Just get yourself an 11" minelab mono as a general coil

And an 8" for around mullock heaps. The other advantage

You have is a large range of coil choices.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts