Gold Rush Colony at Mogo, NSW (Near Batemans Bay)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We just got back on the weekend from 3 days at the Gold Rush Colony in Mogo, NSW. www.goldrushcolony.com.au

I was impressed. It was really interesting if your into gold and its history. You wouldn't think there'd be a gold amusement park but, you'd be wrong. The camp has nice accommodation also. We went 3 days before school holidays started and had the whole camp to ourselves for 2 days.

I wasn't expecting much from the cabins but, I'd give them a 3.5 to 4 stars. Some of the cabins are dog friendly which we took our 2 dogs. It rained the whole time we were there but, oh well. It wasn't too expensive but, the cabins are self contained with everything in the kitchen you need so I suggest bring your our food so it will be cheaper.

They've put alot of work into the mining camp and the 1 hour tour was very interesting. You can explore the whole park on your own too. Much of it is rebuild but, they have alot of original mining equipment and some still works like the massive rock crusher. The staff are friendly and helpful. The gift shop was cool. Me and my son were able to get panning lessons and then practice ourselves. They made a real gold mine tunnel so you get to get the feel for what it was like in a safe environment.

They have a bunch of very small specs of gold in the panning tubs so I think we left with about a $1 worth. Still it was fun to FINALLY get some gold after 1 year of researching everything. Easing going place...lot of chickens, geese ducks and birds. Right behind the park is a state forest and on the second day we saw 2 kangaroos hopping by. They stopped...we looked at them...they looked at us for 2 minutes...then kept on hopping. Man, can they move fast.

It was a 3+ hour drive from Sydney. Was fun being lock in a car with a teenager who's main concern was getting wifi access. The funny thing is he got 4 flakes of gold and I got only 2. Hmmm.

Worth a stay for a few days. We tried to find some panning areas but, no luck and the rain didn't help. Check the place out if your heading down the area.

It is a great place to visit billyen, I drive past it every day. There are some other old mine relics in the area as well which are worth the look, Donkey Hill, Bimbimbi mine and Comans mine. Did you drop into Mogo Zoo, great little zoo only a 2 minutes drive up the road from old Mogo town. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your stay down here and I hope next time the weather gods look down on you a bit kinder.

We didn't go to the Zoo even though we trove right by it. He said he went to the Zoo with his school a few months ago and wasn't interested. I was tempted to drop him off at wifi (sorry they call it McDonalds now) and go myself.

The camping park used to be some Gold place itself but I didn't see til I got back to Syd. It's just a camp park now. I would have been pissed if it was and I drove right by it.

I didn't see those mines. I did a bunch of research but it seems not enough...next time.

Not much of the mine histories down this way are well known, other than Comans mine which is actually on the tourist brochures. I have been down here for over 10 years and only know of a few that still have some of the equipment on site, although I am slowly finding more as I find more and more mines.