Gold Hog mats information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..sorry for the typos. I'm only ever online using my phone..not a pc. Many typos.. I try to edit and proof read b4 sending..get excited sometimes

Ill also state to read Ditherer & Son's post on a more positive side of the matting and make your own assumption. It sepends how much $$ you have to throw about. I have to sell my belly button lint to scrape coin.

Fantastic !!!!

Thanks again, I'm in the throws of finishing the longest rocker box build in history and I'm down to the matting.

Cheers

Bazz

We have been using gold hog matting for the last 2-3 years, and have no problems with it. Works well on fine and chunky gold, but it can take a bit of playing to get water flow and velocity right, so the matting stays active. Once dialled in its easy to use a clinometer or bubble to make sure you get it back in the same spot.
Our main reason for changing over was mainly to reduce concentrates at the end of the day and speed up our cleanouts. Personally I don't think we get any more, or less gold from when we had the riffles and miners moss setup.

The mats are not cheap, so I would be inclined to try and have a look at someone else who is using it first, to make sure it is what you want. We had been looking at the mats for a while but was not until we saw them working that we spent money on them.

As AR mentioned some people have had problems cutting and joining their mats, so long as you measure twice and have a sharp razor and a good straight edge, I don't think this should be too much problem. I have even cut superglued pieces apart off and older mat and reused them (though I wrecked as much as I saved), as well as spliced two offcuts together to make a mat that I was short.
As for taping the mats together, I would follow docs instructions there. We have always used the tape on the sides, which helps to seal any gaps that may be between the sluice box and matting.

Recently, I've looked at Gold Hog stuff and it does seem a bit "overmarketed" but that often seems to be the American Way in the face of stiff competition. It seems expensive. After using a Keene's Sluice for gold recovery from pulverised species I'm well pleased with Keene's Miracle Matting and I'll be buying bigger sheets for our new "10 tonnes an hour plus" sluice currently being designed. The Keene's did everything I wanted and after panning the tailings it missed very little - say 1%.

can someone explain how i would purchase enough for a sluice 250 wide by 1200 long and what is the cost. In there online store it says they only sell it in 36 inch's long 6 inch's wide, 36 dollars per mat sold in 3 foot sections only

I could be wrong as it has been a while since I have purchased the stuff, but I would have thought the mats are 36 inches wide and 6 inches long.
So you slice the mat into sections 245-250 wide and join them top to bottom with superglue. So you should get 3 pieces of mat vertically out of one mat length for a sluice you size. So I would say you will need 8 slices long, which would be about 3 lengths of mat for you sluice.

shivan said:
I could be wrong as it has been a while since I have purchased the stuff, but I would have thought the mats are 36 inches wide and 6 inches long.
So you slice the mat into sections 245-250 wide and join them top to bottom with superglue. So you should get 3 pieces of mat vertically out of one mat length for a sluice you size. So I would say you will need 8 slices long, which would be about 3 lengths of mat for you sluice.
Yup. "Cha-Ching" :D

I've been very happy with the Goldhog matting.

I know it works and there is less to clean up.

It's good to know that I'm not losing anything just trying to save a couple of bucks.

It suits me because I'd rather be focused on the diggings than my gear.

When you cut, lay it facedown. Use a stanley knife and a ruler.
Don't try to cut through in one go, once you've scored it you'll be able to bend it slightly to open up the cut and the remainder is easy.

Mine is a tight fit against my sluice so I didn't make the sideflaps.

I've read your response AR and you're a bit erratic. I too use words like pricey and don't want to spend anymore than I have to or get ripped off mate but I feel your a bit too much sour grapes over the price. And not everyone is put off by price. After all you did try to manufacture your own for your own use.

If you know what you are trying to achieve the mats aren't a bad way to go. Gold Hog make plenty of videos about mats and wet prospecting. So what if it's extruded rubber with a price tag, in the right conditions you will get more gold, less cleanup and longer running times. Talk to the blokes using them consistently about what you can achieve and the pros and cons of each type.

I loved UR awesome mat once I understood how and where to use it.

Gold hog mats are great once you learn how to use them and its a learning curve, i admit i didn;t bite in the first few years foundi was loosing too much gold. then after they made a few revisions i tried some more and came up with some good configurations. they are long and the flow and angle needs to be perfect so its a learning curve. not something for the budget conscious.

Nowadays i'm using and making the vortex dream mat and I love it, alot more tolerance to water and angle, alot more effective on fine gold, alot easier to clean out nor more reverse rolling trying to get those heavy rocks out of the gold hog mat. the dream mat just turn upside down the cells clean out when they touch the water. thats because the cells are in a constant state of exchange something gold hog failed to achieve.

1467791181_img_20160706_34638.jpg
1467791034_img_20160706_31176.jpg
Hi all ive just made my own sluice box and i use gold hig mats and another mat which is actually convyer belt and I like both of them the convyer bekt is good for gems aswell each to there own really
1467791098_img_20160706_17627.jpg
1467791202_img_20160706_57231.jpg

that conveyor mat is real good, i love it too, not in all situations but it works really well in most. the gold cube uses it and calls it vortex funnily enough.

Roverrock, What you have done with that leaf catcher is awesome. I've seen it a few times at bunnings and wondered how I could use it. Looks like you have come up with a top idea. That wasn't of the ways I was thinking of, that's for sure!

Roverrock said:
I made up another matt that is all gold hog matt three different types 1 bed rock 2 scrubber 3 razerback and they all work great
thats what needs to be done with goldhog you need lots of variety, ive got three mats with various configuration for different size gold.

it used to be my favourite thats for sure/.

Hi Brendomac i didnt have enough material left over to make a shoot so i went to bunnings and found this and it works better than i thought so win for me

Hi Golddigg@ yeh i mix them around till i get qhat im happy with

Latest posts