Gold Hog mats information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who are dabbling in making their own high banker or sluice,
I have some gold hog mats for sale if anyone is interested, or maybe swap for something of similar value, cheers

Has the mat been cut yet?
Which type / types of mat do you have? UR, Razorback, etc

and how many $$ are you after? :)

Hi All,

I'll be home tomorrow and will post some pics of all of the mats, there are a few 10/12 not sure, they are 36" wide and the standard 6" deep but don't quote me on the 6".
They are the ones Gold Hog advertise on the net and I bought two of each, the price will be what I paid and whoever is interested will pay the freight.

Cheers Everyone

So im just about to order some gold hog matting from the US and want to know what everyones opinion is on it. I know its pretty pricey, which i dont mind if it does a good job. However im concerned it might not be suited to Aus as much and im just wasting my money.

G'day mate,

The old Ditherer and I use Gold Hog matting in our Hogwash.

The first thing I will say about it is that it dramatically cuts down on the amount of material you have to pan through in a cleanout. It is actually possible to see the gold in the matting while the highbanker is running (between shovel fulls) and this is a nice incentive to shovel harder.

The matting does like good water velocity to work properly and we've always run an old river sluice with miner's moss at the bottom of the highbanker at a lower angle to slow the material down and catch anything that the gold hog misses. We have found now that we can run for much longer between cleanouts as the gold hog just doesnt really fill up with much except gold (which is nice)

As far as not being suited to Australia, gold is gold, and water is water.

Beware though that clay materials in clumps will wash straight over gold hog and only deep traditional riffle stand any chance of holding the clay long enough to release any gold trapped inside the lumps. So gold hog works best with well cleaned gravels.

lord_anubis1600 said:
So im just about to order some gold hog matting from the US and want to know what everyones opinion is on it. I know its pretty pricey, which i dont mind if it does a good job. However im concerned it might not be suited to Aus as much and im just wasting my money.

Hey mate - i just ordered some stuff from the US Gold Hog site... Don't use them as shipping, it's much cheaper to use a forwarding company.
They will ship internal for about 30 bucks, and i use http://www.comgateway.com/ to then ship it onto me. Saves a bit!

Originally it would have cost me about AUD - 1100, but using Comgateway it's about AUD - 880

:)

Good luck! They do some good stuff!

Hey

Maybe a bit more info on things you are wanting to get up to, like type of sluice, water flow and volume??????????

You know how it goes............... "Horses for courses" !

Cheers

I'm pretty sure you can order it from Aus.
I believe you can get it from NQ miners den.
it might save you on a few $ on shipping.
just jive them a call, or have a look at the website
cheers Kane

Mine came through a goldhog dealer in either ballarat or bendigo, a whole seller.

If you want my honest oppinion, UR matting has been thier best for stopping the gold in your sluice at any point where you have it, scrubber / razorback 'helps' churn up muds and hold bigger gold.

I bought scrubber and razorback matts.. I havnt used them yet as there's cheaper alernatives for the same result.

Basically thet are bright red neon light for under a holden VN. Wa*k factor +120

In my even more honest oppinion.. don't waste your money. Theres a few dodgy things with the mats.
If you don't cut it perfect you will have unsealed holes, the mats leave a gap on each side of the sluice and thier expert oppinion is to use gorilla tape...no thanks..I'd rather expanded mesh and riffles / carpet held tight Iin the sluice. The tape thing is annoying as hell

The mats don't 'click' together how they seem either. They just fall apart and more tape is needed.

So you have a goldhog mat which is made up of 5" lengths, all held together with tape. Cleanup is hell keeping it as one part and so your better off removing all the tape just for cleaning it and then redo the tape for puttingbit back into the sluice.

If you want rubber matting, get some blank rubber from clarke rubber and carefully cut out riffles using a straight edge and a box knife. Iit does the exact same job even if its uneven cutting.

As you can tell, for the price its worth, I wasn't happy with the result. :mad:

AtomRat said:
Mine came through a goldhog dealer in either ballarat or bendigo, a whole seller.

If you want rubber matting, get some blank rubber from clarke rubber and carefully cut out riffles using a straight edge and a box knife. Iit does the exact same job even if its uneven cutting.

Hey AR

I'd like to see some examples of your idea, Please!! :D

Bazz

Ill see if I can find the bit i cut.. it could be long gone..but its as basic as I've mentioned mate. Ill go look

Hah! Bugger me I found it. Can't take a photo till I charge my phone. Give it 15 mins mate :)

( it actually looks better than I remembered )

Ok, while that's charging ill write some more info.

The rubber I used was probably too thick in height ( 1cm ) and if I were to do it again, I would probably use 80mm height. This Iis because the 1cm is very solid and rigid which like to keep its bent shape. You may be able to fix this issue using an oven and weight to soften and flatten the rubber before cutting ( but I don't know if rubber works like that, it could just burn it )

When cutting with the blade, it made some crooked cuts. I wasn't worried about this because GoldHog is very weak and some spots and just the weight of the water and rocks folds over thier rubber riffles, ruining thier riffle 'technology'. They should have made them from something more solid or with a strength like wire or weave to prevent it.

I'd suggest you similate thier UR matting but have a play with what you can cut with the knife. I didn't come across a solution to chop horizontally, so small v riffles are there instead but with a custom bent knife, it is possible to do these cuts.

For a fast job I'd use a template 'blade' and pull that through the rubber..but it may lead to uneven or really wobbly cuts.

Another thing I didn't like once my matting came, it was a different design than the one advertised. It had different shaped and numbers of riffles compared to the image due to thier "tweaks". Each matting has been through nearly 4 changes since they started selling them. ( this was probably because the aussie supplier had no new stock..but these changes should be known and you should ask which version / make you will be recieving )

How do you confuse someone into buying your product? Give them too much info. And its exactly what they are doing with thier multiple versions, makes and videos of goldhog. They are the Apple of gold matts. Why didn't iphone 1 have everything the 6 does? Moneys!!!!

1445395008_14453949752480.jpg

1445395025_14453949846001.jpg

Its as uneven as steady eddie but still worked and much, MUCH cheaper than goldflog.

Latest posts