Gold Detecting Benalla Goldfields (Reef Hills State Park) Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1441629506_content.jpg

1441629530_page1.jpg

1441629550_page2.jpg

just some light reading b4 bed .. cheers all

Just be aware that the shaft at the top of the hill has had a giant roo that somebody has shot and dumped in it. and also noticing some trees being felled over tracks to the various known dig sites. Somebody hasnt been happy with the extra attention in the area. If ya see the black triton pop over and say gday. :)

Don't worry to much guys and gals kangaroos are one of the many of the things they have found down mine shafts in this region even murder victims lol it's not uncommon... Great post outlawd no wonder I can't sleep :eek: , kinda reminds me of a story I read about a fire chief that was last seen riding his horse into the reef hills and was never seen again .... I know of 2 shafts that were there when I was a child and the smell was like no other and at that stage you could just see the top of the rubbish my dad said he thought it was a horse but in all my time I have never smelt that same smell again and have always wondered was there something under that horse you see those 2 shafts can not be seen now as they have done the best job of concealing them that its not funny and not to mention no other shaft out there has been so well hidden ???
But don't worry your all safe in numbers lol and think of the 6 degrees of separation... And no it wasn't the same horse the fire chief rode in on... ;)

I heard the fire cheif disappeared with a young lady of ill repute from strathbogie... Mustve fallen down a different shaft... Many times by the sounds of things. But the horse was never seen again..... :)

My Wife and I went up to Reef hills today to fight our way thru the crowds. Was a busy place. Counted 3 other people in the area lol. Didn't find any gold but did pick up a 1872 English Florin (and a heap of rifle cartridges). Great spot for a day out thanks Greencheeks for sharing.

Hey Greencheeks,

Thanks for the info re: Reef Hills!
I've been there with my 4500 a couple of times. I know there's 3 different ex mine sites- is Wrangle Gully your pick of the patch or would you suggest elsewhere?

Cheers

Hi everyone thanks for your posts I am glad you had a great day slothchild No gold but a florin none the less I recon I would still class that as a score (thumbs up) to ya.. as for where I would go its hard to say I would love to find fresh ground to play with in that gully Daniel so I don't really have a favourite spot when it comes to out there as I still haven't found any decent fresh ground to stay with lol so its always a bit of a toss the coin scenario for me .. cheers ;)

Hi Everyone, I hear their still finding good colour out the road I am thinking about having a swing of my TDI myself this week, I was hoping this site may have helped me find some new areas in the park that weren't previously exploited considering it has over 5000 members I thought their would have been more positive feedback. Anyway thanks to all who have contributed to the post already good or bad though I do eagerly wait for the first picture of a members first Nugget from out of the reef hills .. Cheers ;)

I nearly forgot about this thread until I was reminded about my commitment to the site and must say guys I owe it all to this thread and the way I was warmly welcomed into the community so the site really needs to thank everyone in this thread for making me become such an active user and I spose boredom has a little to do with it but I can guarantee that if anyone's got something to say on this site it appears it will be responded to unlike other site so great job guys and keep up the hard work and when ur in B-Town give us a pm and I will come show you where all the gold is......... regards GC :cool:

Outlawd said:
Just be aware that the shaft at the top of the hill has had a giant roo that somebody has shot and dumped in it. and also noticing some trees being felled over tracks to the various known dig sites. Somebody hasnt been happy with the extra attention in the area. If ya see the black triton pop over and say gday. :)

Hope you find some colour jethro don't worry to much about the buck shot I have already picked most of it up...Now Outlawd did mention the above so I don't know how safe it is out there :( as I haven't heard from outlawd since the last post in this thread if he picks up on this post he mabey able to give everyone a better insight, I know when there was a quarry in the Benalla reef hills the stone was used as road base in town and when the carts were dumping the stone the towns people were finding gold within it :lol: so you could say that the streets of Benalla are literally paved with gold... True Story.. so my suggestion would be find where the quarry is on the map and give that a go .... regards GC best of luck ;)

Thanks mate ill be down that way early next year. Missed this thread first time around.... im from nsw and even i know of this place. its dads old stomping grounds from 55 years ago.... im reluctant to post anything not cause i care about ppl lurking on here.. but if youre spots secret so is mine. This is directed at active members. . i could post gps coords of my nundle gold spot and most of the internet prospectors would never find the wash...
Hahaha i took two amatuers digging for three hours yesterday in a good spot using my sluice and i split it three ways.. they didnt even want to take it but i told them it was a great start to their new collection(obsession). .
Good karma. . Thats why i give away so many sapphires..give a little find a lot!

I think I might of sinned this morning, Im staying at Shepperton and was going to Benalla to detect reef hills this morning but bed was way too nice so rolled over instead. First time Ive done this, I think it all started to creep in since I detected in W.A. goldfields this year

I thought I would bite the bullet and go check out one of my favourite spots and it turns out I found quite a few :p :lol: bullets that is lead shot, buck shot, air pallets and who knows what they were doing there (wink wink) it was a great morning and I am glad to be out and about once more....

1458528766_img_3886.jpg

1458528954_img_3890.jpg

Here is a puddler from the reef hills taken this morning..

1458529270_img_3887.jpg

Latest posts