Glenn Innes and surrounding areas information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you mbasko.
I did see this link on another site.
I have been looking online for the past two weeks and sometimes become flustered with all the information and the contradictions I find from site to site. I was hoping for some clarity. Back to the net ;)

Mudgee Hunter, do I need to get some of those boots with plastic pants? Going that way in September. Oh, waders? Is that what they r called?
Ok, just looked them up. They range from $100-500... And the sizes are strange.... ok, more research to be done :Y:

Bcf have them on special now and then, $75?
They work on boot size actually. Wear sum trackies under them. The draw string is always way to long. Find one of those pressure bittons like some hats have on them, where you press it in to release the chin tie cord. And expand the draw string to a suitable length. Cut and slide the button up the string and tie each end together with a knot so the button cant slip off.
Should get away with decent tall gummies but.
Honestly but, I would travel a bit further some place. Pretty spot. But I didnt find much there even with the high banker years ago. Tiny gems but.

Historical records are always a good place to start to build your foundation knowledge. Try trove.gov.au and search for the exact location or surrounding regions to get a clear idea of geology, type of previous mining activities, old timers movements where they have yielded payable gold and the associated quantities. Then have a look at google earth and drop some way points to focus on for your next field trip. Just simple suggestions for your motivation mudgee hunter. Cheers GE51

Thank you all for the info. I always say "info is knowledge". BUT, then I have to get that into my head and understand it :playful:
lol anyway, I am loving this new chapter in life.
Will continue to seek :Y:

Welcome to the forum sparklebug
Once you get your post count up over 10 posts you gain access to the members area of the forum member meet ups (trips away ) are a good way to meet other PA members and learn plus experience. Also with 10 posts you gain the ability to send and receive private messages .. Happy hunting
Nuc

Glen Innes is at 9 o clock

1560578752_glen_innes.jpg

Inverell is at 12 o clock

1560578904_inverell.2.jpg

As 7.62 has highlighted, Most of the main Gold areas are to the South and more to the East of Glen Innes... Tonnes of the stuff, just wailing to be found (no joke).... A lot is very deep but a few locations you can actually float down the river 'Snipping' for Gold... A google search will explain what 'Snipping for Gold' is, or Panning will show Gold in every pan, lumps of rocks with visible Gold in it can also be found if you know where... Very Tough Country east of Glenn..
Get those post up to 10 then send me a PM... ;)

LW....

Around 1973 we were staying at Glen Innes for a holiday and decided to go for a drive in our early model short WB land cruiser, went out towards the Kingsgate Mine area and just took a road that looked interesting to see where it went, the further we went the more like a goat track it became and then it started to rain, had wife and a 12 month old on board. Finally got to a point where fear of what lay ahead began to set in, we stopped and decided to try and back up, but it was a looooong back to where we could turn around, so we proceed at a very slow pace with a fairly good fall on one side of the track and high mountain side on the other.

After a couple more miles we can to a track leading off to the right, but it involved going down a rather rough steep looking track and then back up the other side to what appeared to be a mine entrance where there appeared to be room to turn or we continued on for an unknown distance to find worse. So it was decided to give it a go and 4 wheel drive was on front hubs were locked, made it down and back up the other side found just enough room to turn with careful maneuvering, then down and back up and on our way out with a promise to the wife that that sort of thing would never happen again.

We had no food, not even one of the older cb's as they were still illegal, we had not told anyone where we were going as it was supposed to be just a short drive and it was one hell of a hike to get back to a main road for assistance, so since then a LOT more care has been taken and very little off road is even considered.

So I am saying be very careful if you intend to go out in that area, let someone know where you are going, do not think phone reception would be good and the UHF radios have a very limited distance and that sort of terrain.

Graham

That sort of incremental risk-taking, however unintentional, is exactly how most SAR turn-outs start 2Late - that's a good self-analysis, 46 years on.