Ghost towns...... Ravenswood Qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodstar

Rod Jones
Reaction score
Hi all, im going camping at Ravenswood QLD this weekend, not to look for gold but to locate the ghost towns that have disappeared into the dirt. i have got GPS points on several towns, im pretty certain i can find the vicinity of them but once i get there im not sure where to look for relics.. what parts of the towns are the best to be searching on? the hotel, the old park or just dig the whole thing up? is there a way to locate these buildings by way of the stuff thats dug up or is it best to grid a section and work it? any advice would be great, thanks :)

1378678975_optimized-img_11751.jpg

well i found an old town that had basically gone to dust, found an old shovel though, appears to be well used.

An interesting find there Rodstar.

Do you know how old the town is and is there much left in the way of ruins, old foundations etc?

I'm more of a freestyler myself wondering around until I find an area of interest, then I begin a more methodical approach. That's unless of course I have some good knowledge of the layout and know where people were congregating back in the day, in that case I go straight to the sweet spot ;)

yep its seen a lot of dirt, amazing craftmanship too. ive got a heap of photos and will try and download some more of the area. in its day (approx 1870) the town had a population of 700 with 5 pubs, brickworks, butcher, baker etc it was abandoned about 1910.

Gday Nugget I do have a plan of the township and we were able to spend the day walking around trying to visualise the buildings etc, there was a school there with a recreational reserve also. next trip we will probably check all the mullock heaps and maybe try the reserve too. there are some foundations left, not many, plenty of red bricks lying around and plenty of diggings too.

1378681357_foundations.jpg

these walls appeared to be well made and very thick. it was in the area were the police station was so im guessing that was what it was. other thoughts it may of been a strong hold... so maybe a bank of some sorts..

1378681876_modern_day_open_cut_gold_mine.jpg

In the same general area is a gold mine at work, talking with some of the workers they reckon they pull out 3 grams per ton. it was a very interting contrast, the old and new ways to mine for gold.

Incredible pics mate, thanks for sharing them with us.

Do you think its possible the town has been previously detected? it could explain the lack of finds. But in saying that, past experience tells me that there's always something left behind.

No one has detected this place. it appeared to be very isolated. the mullock heaps appear untouched and the township is in the middle of no where. the creek systems are quite interesting also. once you dig past the red clay there is like a river of quartz.
even though my partner and i spent the weekend there we didnt do a lot of detecting we mainly surveyed the township in awe. next trip we will get serious :)

Keep at it mate, it sounds like your onto a good thing. And I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your next trip.

Gday Gadgetman
lol i think its done its time in the fields, i have put it to rest in the garden and is now an ornament :)

thats a good spot you're on to there

lucky you

mullock heaps with the detector

run test patches of those quartz river gravels through a pan or highbanker if you have one

lucky guy

have fun and drink it up !

I think it is a good spot Heads up but i have been researching it for months and doing not much else except detecting in the park and digging up trash. im still no expert with the detector so i have lots more trash to dig i guess...

i dont have a high banker and the creek beds are mostly all dry until the wet season, then when they do get the rain in em, there could be a croc lurking... really not keen on having to wrestle a croc!!

If you are ever up this way make sure you call in for a beer :)

how close is the nearest water to the old creek beds ?

my little highbanker pump is only 2.5 horseys but will pump to 60 - 100 metres

or can you use an auger to get down a couple of metres to the water table ?

do some test panning first though , it might lead you to better spots that do have water

keep away from those crocs mate :|

I spent a week in Ravenswood in 1971 that was 42 years ago
Did not find a freckle of gold there in 6 days.
Only run into one old prosecutor in that time.......he was just passing through on his way home had 2 camels and a pack horse.
He never told us where home was though.

The stamping head was still there then.
The whole area is pretty well sterile ground all worked tailings.
The Chinese pretty well made sure of that......it is just all tailings now.
Mid summer unbearable heat no water and prickly pear everywhere
Mullock heaps, they were every where around the stampers.

Also spent a week at the Burdekin falls on the Burdekin river at the same time.
There was a mining outfit there.......when they abandoned it they just removed the motors from all the machinery......dredges/dozers/loader etc. Was all rusty so had been there a long time
Panned about an ounce in the 7 days between 4 of us........split 4 ways it worked out at around nothing each after fuel to get there.
In the middle of nowhere bar non.......we travelled there via the western side of the Liverpool ranges from Collinsville overland. 1 landcruiser and 3 bikes.
There were no known tracks or a GPS just a compass and maps and an old Aboriginal stockman.
Was a memorable 20 days all up.
Would i do it again......in a heart beat.
Is there still gold there who knows.......it's so dry and dusty in summer the crows fly backwards.
Eck the old Stockman said in his broken English that they just left or die from silver poison (mercury poisoning i assumed) as i was all of 17 at the time the town history wasn't an issue i never bothered to checked.
Just a short story........hope you enjoyed.
Cheers
TheSmithy

Latest posts